1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mycoplasma S???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lltalbott, Apr 7, 2017.

1. lltalbott

lltalbott New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Has anyone had paralysis in the legs with Mycoplasma Synoviae? I have two roosters that have become sick. One had a swollen left foot pad and is better, but the second cannot walk. Thanks for your help.. I am new here. These roosters are 11 months old, no new introductions to my flock, they eat layer pellets and table scraps. I had them next to my chicken run living in my garden for several months to give my hens a break, but they slept in the coop with everyone at night and they are the only ones sick. NO respiratory symptoms. Rooster number 1 has improved but still limps, Rooster #2 after 8 days is still alert, eating/drinking on his own, but cannot walk. toes are not curled, feet are under him as though he is perching on the ground (legs are not paralyzed out in front or behind him), his feet grab my fingers but are too weak to stand on and he flaps his wings for balance. there is NO swelling in rooster #2 feet or legs. both have green formed poop. vet is coming next week for blood sample. picture attached is swollen foot pad on rooster #1.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this bottom photo is his normal foot for comparison. thanks.

2. missprissychick

missprissychick Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Soaking in Epsom salt might help but keep him isolated in deep bedding area to prevent futher injury and keep the foot clean. You can research bumble foot and see treatments. Your case does not seem bad so the soak and isolation might fix the problem.

3. lltalbott

lltalbott New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! I have soaked, even minor surgery, this is not bumble foot. With my other rooster sick, I suspect MS. Anyone seen paralysis with MS in their chickens?

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Hope
    the ER folks can help you out. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :cd

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roosters shouldn't be on layer feed, they have no need for the added calcium - it can give them kidney problems.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under lltalbott [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry I can not answer your question but I also recommend checking in on the ER Forum where there are some experienced folks who really know their stuff.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by