Mycoplasma

Shelldchick

Chirping
Jan 10, 2021
Well the pcr test came back for mycoplasma g. And mycoplasma synoviae. The nucleic acid count was in the mid 30’s. I have one silky still sick and another serama is showing signs in the eyes. After battling coccidiodes I now have this. I have been giving the sulfa and Duramycin thinking initially it was Coryza. Gave corrid to all with the cocci outbreak. Everyone is isolated and I have lost 11 of my new 21 birds. Bacterial test also revealed high levels of proteus sp. and E. coli.
I have a flock of 45 birds that are show quality and this 21 group has never been anywhere near and I have maintained strict bio security.
Question: do I cull these remaining birds of multiple breeds and ages . I paid a lot and have found the source where I got this from originally. This has been going on since April 8
What to do???

Mycoplasma gallisepticum and synovitis both will make carriers of your whole flock. You should close your flock to new birds, for any birds to leave your flock for the life of the birds, down to the last one. They may live for years and lay eggs for you to eat, but any eggs could carry mycoplasma. So no hatching eggs should go to anyone, and you can’t breed birds to sell or go to shows. But you don’t have to cull them to enjoy having chickens. Some do cull birds who develop symptoms. They won’t all develop illness, but they should be considered carriers.

This is a common happening when trying to get different breeds, and buying birds from other people. Some people cull their whole flock and start over after a few weeks, but there is no guarantee that your local or migrating birds won’t spread it to a new flock.

When raising chickens, it is best to have an “all in, all out“ policy. That way any infected birds or carriers will not spread a disease to a new flock. Sorry that you are dealing with this, but glad that you stepped up and got testing.

It is hard to maintain strict biosecurity between a sick flock and a healthy one. MG can get in your hair, on your clothing, shoes, and on equipment. If you change clothes, shoes etc between flocks, you may be able to control the spread. It is up to you whether or not to cull the new birds.

Well the pcr test came back for mycoplasma g. And mycoplasma synoviae. The nucleic acid count was in the mid 30’s. I have one silky still sick and another serama is showing signs in the eyes. After battling coccidiodes I now have this. I have been giving the sulfa and Duramycin thinking initially it was Coryza. Gave corrid to all with the cocci outbreak. Everyone is isolated and I have lost 11 of my new 21 birds. Bacterial test also revealed high levels of proteus sp. and E. coli.
I have a flock of 45 birds that are show quality and this 21 group has never been anywhere near and I have maintained strict bio security.
Question: do I cull these remaining birds of multiple breeds and ages . I paid a lot and have found the source where I got this from originally. This has been going on since April 8
What to do???
Thank you for your input

Tylosin powder is the same medicine as Tylan, and can be found online from Jedds.com to put in the water of birds showing symptoms. That can treat MG. MS is much harder to treat. Secondary infection or air sacculitis can occur in sickest birds, and E.coli is one of the most common bacteria for that. Enrofloxacin 10%, also from Jedds given orally to each bird can treat E.coli. I am not sure about what treats proteus, though. Probably only your sickest birds would have that. Did you lose a sick one that was necropsied?

Trust me I change everything before visiting my flocks.
That doesn't really matter. It's in the air. All birds on your property are carriers.

Why don't you go ahead and test a few birds from the "other" flock. They may not be showing symptoms yet but you can almost guarantee they have it.

That doesn't really matter. It's in the air. All birds on your property are carriers.

Why don't you go ahead and test a few birds from the "other" flock. They may not be showing symptoms yet but you can almost guarantee they have it.
I have tested a few of them… all negative

Tylosin powder is the same medicine as Tylan, and can be found online from Jedds.com to put in the water of birds showing symptoms. That can treat MG. MS is much harder to treat. Secondary infection or air sacculitis can occur in sickest birds, and E.coli is one of the most common bacteria for that. Enrofloxacin 10%, also from Jedds given orally to each bird can treat E.coli. I am not sure about what treats proteus, though. Probably only your sickest birds would have that. Did you lose a sick one that was necropsied?
Yes and it had both. Can I give all these antibiotics at the same time? How much Tylan as an oral route?

Back
Top Bottom