Mypetchicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickfluff, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    I've heard before that some hatcheries say they include "special heating packs" so you can order less chicks if you live in a big city. But then the special heating packs turn out to be extra chickens! I just ordered 4 chicks from Mypetchicken, and I wanted to know if their heating packs are extra chicks. I doubt it, but I just want to make sure. The extra chicks would not be good. I wouldn't be able to keep them, especially if they are roosters![​IMG]

2. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    The "special heating packs" are heating packs not extra chicks.

3. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    I ordered 3 chicks from MPC last year.
    It is a heat pack, and they put a food/water gel blob in box too.
    All arrived healthy. Still have all of the now beautiful hens. [​IMG]

4. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    I got my chicks from My pet chicken too! Rest assured, I got the amount I ordered, and the heat pad worked realy well, it stayed warm until the next day, they put in a blob of "grow gel", a jello like substance which gives them nutrients for there trip. They shipped my girls on Monday and I got to pick them up at the P.O early Tuesday morning.

5. d_cat88

d_cat88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Amarillo, Texas
    I just got my order of 3 SLW pullets from mypetchicken [​IMG] and they had a little heat pack in the bottom of the box but no extra chicks. They are all super active and cute [​IMG] my camera isn't working or I would have pics to post but I'm really happy with them and will probably order from them again.

6. Robdoc

Robdoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Scandia
    Last fall, I ordered 8 chicks (they came with a heat pack). All were healthy and happy -- and still are.

7. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Is it the heating pack that makes the shipping cost so high? $30.00 for three chicks!!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes, unfortunately. Really its a price overkill there because you can find some anywhere between five to ten dollars for a heat pack that they use for live pet fish shipping. I bet if you confront them about it, they will probably deny it and say it is "special" packaging when it is not any different than the other pet warmers out there.

9. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    I ordered 8 chicks from MPC. They were cozy in their small box and arrived the day after they hatched. They had a heat pack and a nest of bedding to keep them warm.

My postal carrier even asked me how much shipping cost because it was such a great package design and was sent 'express'.

I was a bit shocked when I saw how much the shipping at MPC was going to be, but it was worth it to me since there is no other way for me to get the chicks I want in the area where I live (without ordering 25, that is).

10. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I agree about the cost but worth getting the breed and sex I want and the heart break if I fall for that cute roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by