Mysterious death

luckychick105

Songster
6 Years
May 4, 2017
Ireland
We recently got a silkie rooster to breed with our little silkie pullet. Today we went on a walk and when we got back we passed the chicken coop and all the chickens were huddled around the back off the coop and when we went to investigate we found the roosters body, without any head. He had been dead for about an hour. We asked our neighbour if he heard anything and he said that about an hour and a half ago he heard some barking on the road next to our chicken coop. The fence we have up is about two meters high and we could not see anything to say something had dug in under the fence. We believe that it might have been a buzzard that flew in, or a dog somehow scaled the fence and got out again. We were halfway through putting netting over the roof of the coop so this was just very bad timing.
Does anyone know what takes heads but leaves the body intact?

Maya

Could have been a coon or any number of predators. One thing you can be sure of is it will be back and is probably lurking looking for an opportunity for another try. If you have a game camera, put it up and then you will know for sure what you are dealing with. I have several cameras up around on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam around here especially at night.

I have been seeing a fox around here at night lately but as long as it doesn't bother my birds it's safe, but if it does, I'll eliminate. it. Here they roam mostly at night because it's so hot during the daytime.
IMAG0001514 02.jpg

This might be a coyote because I have been seeing one now and then.
DSCF0008125 10.jpg

Could have been a coon or any number of predators. One thing you can be sure of is it will be back and is probably lurking looking for an opportunity for another try. If you have a game camera, put it up and then you will know for sure what you are dealing with. I have several cameras up around on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam around here especially at night.
Im from Ireland so it is definitely not a racoon as we dont have them here.

Red Fox would be my first suspect. Likely disturbed making so could not complete deal.
That was our first suspect but we cant figure out how it got in because there were no holes dug under and the fence is over two meters high.
I have been seeing a fox around here at night lately but as long as it doesn't bother my birds it's safe, but if it does, I'll eliminate. it. Here they roam mostly at night because it's so hot during the daytime.
View attachment 2157811
This might be a coyote because I have been seeing one now and then.
View attachment 2157817
This attack happened at about four in the afternoon, and we are planning on putting a game cam up ASAP

Im from Ireland so it is definitely not a racoon as we dont have them here.

That was our first suspect but we cant figure out how it got in because there were no holes dug under and the fence is over two meters high.

This attack happened at about four in the afternoon, and we are planning on putting a game cam up ASAP
A 2 meter fence would not stop an American Red Fox, unless is was trying to carry a payload, like a chicken. It may have gotten frustrated and left the carcass.

A 2 meter fence would not stop an American Red Fox, unless is was trying to carry a payload, like a chicken. It may have gotten frustrated and left the carcass.
Then it is very possible as we have seen a fox skulking around and it has taken some of our neighbours birds
I had a couple of fox during the day take some birds. I did catch them and eliminated them.
View attachment 2158261
They can get very cocky, the things can't they.

Back
Top Bottom