Mysterious Death :(

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
I have a long strange story for you. Maybe you know what happened.

So about 5 days ago i was hanging with my teenage crew (6-16 week olds) and i notice one of my roos was still in the coop mid day so i brought him out and sat him on the ground. He turned and went strait back in. I thought that was weird, but i let it be. The next day he was still in the coop so i brought him out again (it was hella hot that day), this time i noticed he was panting and breathing kinda heavy. He wondered over and got some water and then went and laid in the grass with his buddies. I figured i would check on him later. That evening he was still outside hanging with everyone else. He wasnt panting anymore but he was breathing very heavy (thru his nostrils). Like deep breaths. I figured he was still hot and let him stay out with his friends, since it was cooling off and almost night time.

The next day, i checked on him in the morning and he was still breathing very heavy, no panting or gasping tho. I brought him into the house in chicken hospital. Gave him electrolytes and scrambled eggs. He wouldnt touch either. I eventually started dipping some water on his beak and he finally started drinking. Then he drank alot. That day he cleared two water bowls. Then that night he finally ate the eggs. The next morning (yesterday) he seemed perky and normal. There was a crazy amount of watery poos, but no blood or anything too weird. He was talking and standing and moving about. I even took him outside for a bit and he nibbled some grass and ate some raspberries. He seemed normal. I decided to keep him in hospital for 1 more day just to make sure he was good.

Throughout the day he deteriorated again. He wouldnt eat anymore, but continued to drink. He stayed laying down, if i tried to get him to stand (to clean the cage) he just kept his toes curled and refused to stand. He continued to drink while laying down, but didnt eat anymore. He started shaking his head a little, but no gasping, heavy breathing, sneezing, runny nose or any other signs.

Then sometime during the night he passed in his sleep. His body was in the exact sleeping position he was in before i went to bed. No death throws or seizures. In fact he looked so peaceful, i thought he was just sleeping. I had to pet him to realize he was stone cold. His face color looked completely normal too, not pale or purple.

This is such a mystery to me. I have lost chickens for a variety of reason, but nothing like this. There was no real obvious signs to pin point anything particular. I googled like crazy and he didnt have any signs of any common diesese. He was almost 16 weeks old and a Barred Rock Mutt.

I am thinking some internal injury (although he didnt seem to be in any pain and let me poke all over him) or heat stroke. I dont know tho, what are your thoughts?

What have the daytime high and nighttime low temperatures been this whole time?
What is your location?
Will you send him off for a necropsy? What is your location?
During the day its been mid 80's to 90's, night have been 65-75. I am in Maryland. No i didnt plan on sending him off for necropsy. I already disposed of his body, otherwise i probably should :(

No one else is acting weird at all. They are hot, but doing fine. Eating drinking and dusting. Laying in cool muddy spots etc.

Everyone has electrolytes and fresh water daily. Also watermelon treats and frozen yogurts

Given plenty of shade and cool water, a healthy chicken can survive those temperatures though they may pant. So he was obviously affected by some malady.
I always send off any unexplained death for necropsy.

Given plenty of shade and cool water, a healthy chicken can survive those temperatures though they may pant. So he was obviously affected by some malady.
I always send off any unexplained death for necropsy.
Where do you send it? We dont have vets in the area that handle chickens.

Where do you send it? We dont have vets in the area that handle chickens.
Every state and most countries have at least one government or university animal diagnostic lab. We have two in Missouri but I send mine to the University of Missouri, Columbia vet school. They have someone on call 24/7 and if you call, they will send you a Fed Ex label for shipping. If it is a live bird, I hand carry it for euthanasia and lab work. The fresher, the better.
http://vmdl.missouri.edu/avian-pathology/
What state are you in?

The DelMarVa region is one of the most productive poultry producing regions of the country. There are a ton of poultry vets there, they all just work in the commercial industry.
Figures :/. I checked the location you stated, looks like they do them starting at around $20. If i have another die mysteriously, ill send it there! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom