Mysterious deaths

Tucs

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2014
Late June I purchased eight six week old pullets from a hatchery. Apparently they had been kept in a small dark place and moving them into a big new coop with outdoor run was extremely traumatic. As soon as I approached they would huddle in a corner. Although they remained extremely skittish they seemed to be thriving on healthy food and clean water. After the first month I found one of the leghorns dead on the floor. Exactly one month later one of the Australorps died, after another month the RIR turned up dead and I just realized that the other leghorn doesn’t look too perky. My original flock has not had any health problems. They are in a separate coop and free range all day. Any ideas of what’s going on?

You can never tell what conditions they also had in the beginning, nutritional deficiency during the first few weeks can cause shorten lifespan and other issues.
Thank you for your kind words. I can deal with loosing a chicken, it’s natural, but I am getting very upset having to bury one every month 🥲

Late June I purchased eight six week old pullets from a hatchery. Apparently they had been kept in a small dark place and moving them into a big new coop with outdoor run was extremely traumatic. As soon as I approached they would huddle in a corner. Although they remained extremely skittish they seemed to be thriving on healthy food and clean water. After the first month I found one of the leghorns dead on the floor. Exactly one month later one of the Australorps died, after another month the RIR turned up dead and I just realized that the other leghorn doesn’t look too perky. My original flock has not had any health problems. They are in a separate coop and free range all day. Any ideas of what’s going on?
Doesn't look perky?

How? Got some photos of her and her poop?

Have you treated them for Coccidiosis, dewormed them or given any other treatments?

Doesn't look perky?

How? Got some photos of her and her poop?

Have you treated them for Coccidiosis, dewormed them or given any other treatments?
Thank you for your help. While I am not new to chickens I never had to do either. I have no evidence of unusual poop, but I am willing to administer medicine as long as it won’t be harmful. The one hen in question has weak legs, but is eating and drinking. Praying for her.

Thank you for your help. While I am not new to chickens I never had to do either. I have no evidence of unusual poop, but I am willing to administer medicine as long as it won’t be harmful. The one hen in question has weak legs, but is eating and drinking. Praying for her.
If you are hesitant in treating with meds, then if possible, collect some fecal samples and have your vet run a fecal float, they can tell you if worms and/or Coccidiosis is part of the problem.

Corid is the treatment for Coccidiosis, it's not an antibiotic, it's a synthetic analogue Thiamine blocker that blocks the uptake of Thiamine that Coccidia needs to feed on and helps to reduce numbers by starving them out. It's a safe drug to administer for any age of poultry. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

Symptoms of Coccidiosis is lethargy, loose stool with mucous or blood, pluffed up unkempt appearance.

Weak legs but not eating/drinking, then it may be disease like Marek's. You could try vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

If you lose this one, then consider getting a necropsy through your state lab, this will give you the best info to know the cause of their decline.

I'm sorry about the pullets, that really stinks.

For your sickest Gal, I think I'd try Corid first.
Corid is in the cattle section of stores like TSC.
It comes in liquid or powder.

I would direct oral drench her for 3 days in addition to mixing it in the water for her and the rest of them. She does need to be drinking the mixed water too, but the direct drench is to give a jump start. Those first 3 days, I would expect a marked improvement if Coccidiosis is the issue. If there's improvement, then finish to 5-7 days.
Here's the instructions for direct oral dosing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

If there's no improvement, then I'd switch up to vitamin therapy giving Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. See if that makes any difference.

If you have photos of your pullets and poop you wish to share, they would be most welcome.

I wish I had better answers for you. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much for concise advice. I will head to Tractor supply today and start them on the medication immediately. I have been adding B 12 since yesterday and she is drinking it. I will keep you updated 🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• 9E399368-F349-4084-AC58-509B7B4F79A4.jpeg
    9E399368-F349-4084-AC58-509B7B4F79A4.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 3
  • E55B2289-3483-4EF5-B6AA-A5663984CB70.jpeg
    E55B2289-3483-4EF5-B6AA-A5663984CB70.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom