Mystery Batch of Chicks

Dean126

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
Hi All,

I have some chicks that I got from the feedstore and I havnt the slightest idea what kind breed of chickens I have. This is my first time with chicks. I have searched a lot on the internet for clues, but im stumped. I have 4 chicks...

1. Brown chipmunk pattern
2. And 3. Yellowish silver
4. yellow with black with 2 black dots on top of the head.

These pictures are taken at 9 days old and I was hoping somebody might have an idea or better yet the gender. If I were to guess. #1 is a brown leghorn male., #2 EE male, #3 EE female, and #4 i have no clue.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200816_105017.jpg
    20200816_105017.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200816_105012.jpg
    20200816_105012.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_104931.jpg
    20200816_104931.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200816_104916.jpg
    20200816_104916.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200816_104954.jpg
    20200816_104954.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200816_104845.jpg
    20200816_104845.jpg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 8
Mixed breeds, were their genders labeled? If not they are probably all boys. It is way to early to tell gender though. Wait 2 more weeks or so, and update us on feathering and faces, witch may make it easier for us to tell.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

All appear to be Easter Eggers with fluffy cheeks to me and likely all pullets.

Brown leghorn (would have white ear lobes).. same pattern as Welsummer and many other birds..

Yellow chick with dots on the head.. similar to some phenotype seen in my wheaten Ameraucana.

Was the bin labeled as straight run or pullets? And why do you say male on some? :pop

Hi All,

I have some chicks that I got from the feedstore and I havnt the slightest idea what kind breed of chickens I have. This is my first time with chicks. I have searched a lot on the internet for clues, but im stumped. I have 4 chicks...

1. Brown chipmunk pattern
2. And 3. Yellowish silver
4. yellow with black with 2 black dots on top of the head.

These pictures are taken at 9 days old and I was hoping somebody might have an idea or better yet the gender. If I were to guess. #1 is a brown leghorn male., #2 EE male, #3 EE female, and #4 i have no clue.

Any help is appreciated.
They are all Easter Eggers.
Did the bins have genders labeled?

Thank you for the help y'all.

There were no labels as I bought fertilized eggs not chicks. Due to the corona virus they just handed me the eggs in the parking lot. So I havnt the slightest idea. The eggs were light brown. Green or cream colored. I just don't know what chicks came from each egg As they hatched overnight.

Thank you for the help y'all.

There were no labels as I bought fertilized eggs not chicks. Due to the corona virus they just handed me the eggs in the parking lot. So I havnt the slightest idea. The eggs were light brown. Green or cream colored. I just don't know what chicks came from each egg As they hatched overnight.
In that case.. barnyard cross.. very likely EE in them still. Zero possibility of brown leghorn or Welsumer, or Ameraucana.

Too young to gender identify according to features. You MIGHT be able to make some guesses according to behavior. Closer to 6-8 weeks they might start to develop some male characteristics like larger red comb or wattles, though bearding inhibits wattle size, you have lots of chicks to compare with. Females will not have any red in their wattles or comb at that age with exception to possible flushing caused by heat or excitement. Anyone who is an insistent chest bumper is suspicious of male. Around 12 weeks is when pointy saddle feathers can be seen developing on most breeds.

Agreed the usual ratio for hatching is 50/50 but I've had it lean heavily both ways at different times.

So you got 4 chicks for a dozen eggs, congratulations on your hatch! :celebrate

Most hatcheries are still shipping orders, should you decide you'd like something that lays more prolifically. Looks like you should get a nice variety of eye candy (and personalities), my favorite thing about EE. Chipmunk colored chicks are some of the cutest and the fluffy cheeks send me over the edge! :love

Back
Top Bottom