Mystery Bird

LilCtryGal

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Can anyone help identify the breed of this chicken. It was my "Mystery Bird" in my recent shipment from Murray McMurray.

Please tell me it's a Hen and not a Roo !!!

She (I hope) is 7 weeks. I guessed a Silver Laced Wyandotte but just wasn't really sure. I had that breed on my "to get" list !

X 3 on the SLW, and at seven weeks I would vote roo with that much pink comb and wattle.

Really, a Rooster? I didn't see the little v thingy when I checked under the hood. I have an Polish Buff that was a mystery and I've been calling her Glitzy, may have to change it to Uncle Glitzy.

So they tend to send Cockerel's as the mystery bird? Has any one else figured this out?

Really, a Rooster? I didn't see the little v thingy when I checked under the hood. I have an Polish Buff that was a mystery and I've been calling her Glitzy, may have to change it to Uncle Glitzy.

So they tend to send Cockerel's as the mystery bird? Has any one else figured this out?
SLWs have sexually dimorphic feather patterns--the cockerels are feathered differently than the pullets. This one is most definitely a boy. He'll get a white head and hackles and white wings and saddle feathers; the hens are one pattern all over.

I have had pullets as my mystery bird a few times, but from what I hear, that's rare. I think you have to expect a male from the Mystery Chick, as it's a way of the hatchery getting rid of chicks they otherwise would have to dispose of.

Back
Top Bottom