Mystery Bird

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilCtryGal, Sep 17, 2013.

1. LilCtryGal

LilCtryGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Can anyone help identify the breed of this chicken. It was my "Mystery Bird" in my recent shipment from Murray McMurray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please tell me it's a Hen and not a Roo !!!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

He/she is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. :) How old is the chick?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. ortiz6

ortiz6 New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    yes, silver lace

4. LilCtryGal

Mar 10, 2013
    She (I hope) is 7 weeks. I guessed a Silver Laced Wyandotte but just wasn't really sure. I had that breed on my "to get" list !

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking more on the rooster side the comb and wattles are turning a bit pink colored, though I think that a few more weeks would help tell us.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X 3 on the SLW, and at seven weeks I would vote roo with that much pink comb and wattle.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Silver laced Wyandotte cockerel. If you don't want a rooster, don't ok the free exotic chick, it's almost always a rooster.

8. LilCtryGal

Mar 10, 2013
    Really, a Rooster? I didn't see the little v thingy when I checked under the hood. I have an Polish Buff that was a mystery and I've been calling her Glitzy, may have to change it to Uncle Glitzy.

So they tend to send Cockerel's as the mystery bird? Has any one else figured this out?

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    SLWs have sexually dimorphic feather patterns--the cockerels are feathered differently than the pullets. This one is most definitely a boy. He'll get a white head and hackles and white wings and saddle feathers; the hens are one pattern all over.

I have had pullets as my mystery bird a few times, but from what I hear, that's rare. I think you have to expect a male from the Mystery Chick, as it's a way of the hatchery getting rid of chicks they otherwise would have to dispose of.

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silver-Laced Wyandotte rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by