Mystery cause of death

cabercrombie

Hatching
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Folks. Hoping someone can help me figure this one out. Found one of my hens on the nest dead. Upon inspection the only thing I was able to find was blood dripping from her beak and an egg crowning. I added 2 T ACV to 5 gal waterer for the first time two days prior. That would be the only notable change in the environment. She's the first one we've lost in the two years we've had chickens. Any thoughts?

When i started feeding ACV to my hens one had some major problems with eggs breaking inside of her and it caused her to stop laying completly for 9 months... I read later that ACV can cause calcium absorption problems, ans she was the only one affected, shes a buff orpington. But your case seems a bit more extreme and the egg wasnt broken? Ive read a bit about some local extensions doing autopsies on spontaneous deaths so they can be alerted to some of those illnesses that cause that kind of thing so i would research if something like that exists where you live

When i started feeding ACV to my hens one had some major problems with eggs breaking inside of her and it caused her to stop laying completly for 9 months... I read later that ACV can cause calcium absorption problems, ans she was the only one affected, shes a buff orpington. But your case seems a bit more extreme and the egg wasnt broken? Ive read a bit about some local extensions doing autopsies on spontaneous deaths so they can be alerted to some of those illnesses that cause that kind of thing so i would research if something like that exists where you live

No, the egg was not broken. The autopsy is a good thought especially considering our close proximity to a chicken processing plant but we promptly buried her. Maybe I'll change the water out tomorrow and hope the rest of the girls will be okay. Thanks for your comment.

Back
Top Bottom