Mystery Chick from MM *New PICS on pg 6* - any guesses?

well, at this point, I'm pulling for Jeff9118 because a Jersey Giant would be cool and I already have 5 other EEs. But, I'll be happy with EE as well. I have to say that in real life, the comb looks like the tiniest, narrow, straight line... so I think it's possible. We shall see.

When I get a new good pic, I'll def. post.

OK, everybody, here's the update. Mystery Chick is now 9.5 weeks old. I do think that there is a hint of a beard that is starting to show. However, I'm not positive. This chick is still much smaller and thinner than all my other birds, and still has a very different personality. My other EEs have big, full, fluffy heads and necks, and pretty full beards at this point... Mystery Chick is still slender...

23722_triumphant_return_054.jpg

23722_triumphant_return_076.jpg

23722_triumphant_return_135.jpg

Also, I still don't know about male or female. If it's an EE, it's supposed to be a pullet (I ordered all EE pullets). If not, who knows. Also, the comb area is quite red, I don't know if that means anything at this age or not.

Here is one of my other EEs from the same batch (same age, same hatchery) for contrast... big, full, fluffy neck, head, and beard...

23722_triumphant_return_062.jpg

New thoughts, anyone?

Yea it does have muffs and a pea comb now so i will have to admit I was wrong and agree that it is an EE. Thanks for posting an update. It's a beautiful chicken but I would be afraid to try and guess on the sex.. Anything with a peacomb is very tricky.

Hey, thanks for your great feedback! I was excited for it to be something else. It still is very different, so it's cool. I like EEs anyway
smile.png

The big disappointment here is that my "free rare chick" from McMurray must was an extra Buff Orp and an extra Cuckoo Marans (so two free chicks actually... just no "surprise"). I mean... I'm not really complaining... I got two extras, which is generous of them. I was just kinda hoping for a fun, different breed in addition to the ones I ordered. It actually makes sense that Mystery Chick is an EE and until now, I thought they shorted me one EE (I ordered nine and Mystery is number nine) and that he/she was the free rare chick. But, I guess it's just the extra Marans and Orpington. Oh well, I love them all anyway and my EEs are all very pretty so I am happy
smile.png

Last edited:
Maybe the cuckoo Maran was meant to be your rare chick and they just threw in an extra buff orp to be nice (since BO aren't rare).

I've never seen an all white easter egger, but the beard, green legs, and pea comb do point to EE. My guess is cockerel because of the redness in the comb.

Im glad Jeff stepped outside the box, it made things interesting lol. I also dont like when some people are so definitive!! just relax
big_smile.png
. I think EEs are definately most popular "breed" discussed on this site and it's too bad i dont even like them lol.

Well, relative to industrial chickens, Orpingtons are still considered rare.

Either way, here's what I got (assuming Mystery Chick is truly an EE):

Cuckoo Marans: ordered 8, received 9
Buff Orpingtons: ordered 8, received 9
EEs: ordered 9, received 9

I was just hoping for a different one... a lady I've been talking to via email who lives near me ordered from MM and so did her dad (several weeks apart) and they each got a phoenix roo as their "surprise free rare chick." I guess I was hoping for something like that. Buy, hey... I'm still happy
smile.png
I'm having fun with them no matter what they are.

Back
Top Bottom