Mystery Chick- please help!

Hm, they do look somewhat similar. Possibly! I was actually originally planning on getting some campines but ended up getting too many other breeds. That would be nice if she ended up being one.
That would be funny! These babies have the speckles and the brown on the heads. Not sure!

Another thought... maybe a Sicilian Buttercup?? I’m just throwing out ideas here 😂

Attachments

• 52A2B0AF-DA09-43C2-9196-6CB80F50D8CC.jpeg
    52A2B0AF-DA09-43C2-9196-6CB80F50D8CC.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7
It looks a lot like my Ameraucana chicks. They are almost 3 weeks old and have the same wing feathering as yours. We have 2, one has heavier eyeliner and one has the speckles around the eye like yours and lighter eyeliner. That's how we tell our two apart lol. Also, the bit of red on the end of the beak, both of mine have that too. From what I've read, they are likely silver Ameraucana but they were sold to me as just Ameraucana. They aren't the smallest or the largest my my group of mixed chicks who are all within a day or two of each other age wise.

Here is a wikicommons picture that is very similar to mine, I can take pictures of mine later if you want to compare.

1585785192113.png

It looks a lot like my Ameraucana chicks. They are almost 3 weeks old and have the same wing feathering as yours. We have 2, one has heavier eyeliner and one has the speckles around the eye like yours and lighter eyeliner. That's how we tell our two apart lol. Also, the bit of red on the end of the beak, both of mine have that too. From what I've read, they are likely silver Ameraucana but they were sold to me as just Ameraucana. They aren't the smallest or the largest my my group of mixed chicks who are all within a day or two of each other age wise.

Here is a wikicommons picture that is very similar to mine, I can take pictures of mine later if you want to compare.

View attachment 2071640
Do yours have tail feathers yet? That's the strangest part to me- this chick looks big enough to have them but doesn't! I have 7 other breeds of chicks currently and they all either have tail feathers or are starting to sprout them. Even my little bantam cochins have them.

Do yours have tail feathers yet? That's the strangest part to me- this chick looks big enough to have them but doesn't! I have 7 other breeds of chicks currently and they all either have tail feathers or are starting to sprout them. Even my little bantam cochins have them.

One has the start of tail feathers and the other still has a fuzzy butt lol. I only have 3 other breeds and this is my first time raising chicks so it didn't occur to me that it was unusual for them to not to be developing tail feathers yet. It seems happy and healthy though and is growing at roughly the same rate as the the others so I figured it was just a late bloomer lol.

IMG_20200328_152639709.jpg

That's the one with the heavier eyeliner taken a few days ago at just over 2 weeks old. As you can see, no tail feathers yet even though the others are starting to get them. I can't find a good picture of the one with speckles around the eye like yours. I'll try and get some good shots in the morning. They change so much so quickly, overnight it seems sometimes.

Your baby looks more like the buttercup with the lighter body and chest, and the speckles along the top of the head on either side of the dark patch, which continues down its back 😍
Here are some pictures of our Buttercups for comparison.
New
20190320_163820.jpg

Getting wings
20190326_191153.jpg

Older
20190411_191153.jpg

Buttercups also are the only bird with a Buttercup comb. It looks like someone took a straight comb and looped it into a circle.

Back
Top Bottom