Mystery chick

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
02DD9D51-0998-4ABE-BC83-C09DE48F6B87.jpeg
838B464F-85A0-4616-BB41-5BA9155D89AB.jpeg
870D748C-AA43-412D-A53C-BEB67E37F792.jpeg
I’m wondering the gender/breed of this chick. This chicks mom is Easter Egger but I’m not sure if it’s actually from her egg. It’s all black, it’s feathering color looks like my australorps. I estimate it’s age to be about 10 weeks. It’s still very attached to it’s mama, they snuggle together every night.

What breeds do you have?
Black copper Maran and Australorps are my black birds. My rooster is black copper Maran. I also have EEs, brown leghorns, Brahmans, Delawares and a cuckoo Maran. However I’m not sure if this is a farm chick or a purchased chick to appease a broody. It was on the farm when we got here.

Is your rooster very black? If there's a lot of gold, he's probably not Extended Black (E) which means that the mother is probably one of your black or barred birds. The mother probably has dark shanks (legs) so the most likely possibility is an Australorp.

Is your rooster very black? If there's a lot of gold, he's probably not Extended Black (E) which means that the mother is probably one of your black or barred birds. The mother probably has dark shanks (legs) so the most likely possibility is an Australorp.
Yes that was my thought. Any thoughts on gender? The rooster is mainly black, red, with green tail feathers, no gold.

Back
Top Bottom