Mystery Chick!

Alycia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Well, we have this chick, well s/he could be a pullet or cockerel, but I don't know lol. We'll find out when it either lays eggs or crows lol. Buut, I have a question about what the heck she may be.

As far as the parents go, you're guess is a good as mine. In an emergency situation we took maaaany, many chickens and roosters from a man in January, and they were already laying fertilized eggs, as well as unfertilized. They included RIRs, Barred Rocks, dozens of silkies (pure and mixed), some kind of oriental hen (Yokohama, probably, but that's just a guess), and even a lovely American Game Bantam with HUUGE spurs (he was a big boob though lol). There was probably even more breeds I forgot about. Guineas, too, so maybe a hybrid is possible?

Well, about this lovely girl or boy. We've been calling him or her Chipmunk since birth because she was born striped like a chipmunk on her back, but with darling hairy legs. She was always the tiniest. We dated our eggs, and still have her shell preserved (hey, it was one of our first babies! lol) and she collected and incubated on 1/28. She hatched earlier than I expected with about four others. Unfortanetly, I don't have a good pic of her as a baby-baby, but I have a current photo.

My mom thought she was perhaps a Guinea crossed with one of the silkie mixes or even the random Oriental hen. Below is s photo of her now. She is about seven or eight weeks old now and is VERY small! No doubt she has silkie in her, but what else? She's a confusing baby. As a chick she looked exactly like a Phoenix chick with hairy legs, but we didn't get any Phoenixes! Enlighten me on what you think this airborne little girl is. It was hard to get a good pic of her. She is sweet, or he, lol, but s/he LOVES to fly lol.

mysterychippie002co8.jpg

I wonder. . .She's certainly one mixed up little woman lol. We didn't have any Cochins in the big batch of chickens we got from that guy, or Polish, but maybe they were also mixes with some of those breeds too. I'm glad to know it's a girl, that way we haven't been gender confusing it by calling it a girl lol.

Back
Top Bottom