Mystery: Chickens becoming listless, blind and dying

GardenTillers44

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 26, 2016
Hocking Hills, Ohio
After two years of relatively problem-free chicken keeping, we have our first serious development.
We have two flocks, one older heritage big breed flock of 6 layers, and a newer flock of 14 pullets and 2 roos that are 18-20 weeks of age now, all treated at hatching with Marek's vaccine. We obtained all the new flock as 6-8 wk old pullets from a NPIP certified breeder with good reviews, and have been very satisfied with the quality of the birds. We have the new flock in quarantine in a separate coop and enclosed, roofed, locking run adjacent to the older flock so they can see each other in prep for an eventual mixing of the flocks. We practice reasonable biosecurity: footbath using Spectrasol at the gate where we keep our chicken yard-only boots, we change clothes on our twice-weekly coop cleaning days, we pooper scoop the waste and feathers out of the run and yard daily and have a dust bath with fine sand, wood ash and DE in each run. We do mite and lice checks every few days and follow all the best practices for diet we have gleaned from BYC and a few other sources. We offer fresh water sources with garlic or ACV, have a base diet offering of appropriate crumbles for the layers and younger birds. We don't fully free range, but have a 4000 sq ft "yard" surrounding the coops and runs with an electric poultry mesh boundary to keep predators out. Honestly, we are chicken obsessed, and do more than any of our chicken-keeping neighbors and friends. One thing we can't control outside of the coop and run is interaction with wild birds. We live in a virtual wildlife haven with wild turkeys and I've documented 141 species of wild birds over the years on the premises. The current problem is in the new flock and affecting some of the pullets, which are a mix of Sussex, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Welsummers, Olive Eggers and Marans.

All the chickens, new and old, were given a Marek's vaccine at hatching. Three weeks ago a Black Orpington pullet started acting listless, and gradually lost interest in food and water and ultimately went blind and died. We had set up a "sick bay" quarantine about 100 yards away from the other chickens to treat her. We treated her when the symptoms started with Safeguard (fenbendazole) dewormer according to a dosing schedule we found on this site. Her poops never showed any classic signs of worms or cocci. In the meantime we started looking for a vet who would do a fecal float and/or necropsy, which as many of you have found out, is not easy. We finally found someone two hours away, but by that time the girl had died. A post death inspection showed no sign of external parasites or impacted crop. Ten days ago one of the Olive Eggers started showing similar symptoms, was moved to quarantine, stopped eating and drinking and probably won't see tomorrow. She had the benefit of a full deworming schedule. None of these girls have shown any respiratory distress, nasal discharge, swelling around the eyes or abnormal runny, mucousy, discolored poops. A fecal float of the Olive Egger did not indicate a worm problem or cocci. The current theory is that we may be dealing with Marek's that is picking off some of the weaker or more succeptible pullets. I am aware that the vaccine only hopes to build some resistance to Marek's but is by no means guaranteed prevention. I am also assuming given the widespread and airborne nature of Marek's, and with all the wild birds and other chickens in the region, that we likely have exposure to Marek's. The vet suggested that a blood test would likely reveal Marek's since they had been vaccinated, so we decided to forgoe that expense since we really couldn't do much about it. I'm going to have this Olive Egger necropsied to try and get an answer so we can take additional steps at prevention/cure. The necropsy may show more definitive evidence of Marek's, worms, deficiencies etc.
I'm suspicious today of a third pullet now, a Welsummer, that did not join the feeding fray at treat time, and she had never missed a meal. Not sure at this point what else to do outside of the quarantine to minimize exposure to the rest of the flock, and wait for necropsy results. Sorry for windy intro, but maybe the background helps the brainstorming. We aren't panicked, but want to learn all we can and do all we can for our flock. BYC has been an incredible well of information to us. Thanks for any input.

I am sorry your chickens are falling ill.
I have no personal experience with Mareks.
I would strongly advise on having a necropsy done on the next one that passes so you know for sure what you are dealing with, so you don't have to keep playing the guessing game.
I did recently come across this post and thought you might like to read it.
@LeilaBlue1002

Hi Susan

Marek's compromises the immune system like AIDS in humans, so infected birds are much more vulnerable to all the normal things that chickens can get but generally develop some tolerance/resistance to like coccidiosis, worms, respiratory infections and gut infections, so they will often die from these problems whereas other birds of the same age would shrug/fight them off. The Marek's virus also causes visceral tumours. Heart and lungs are commonly affected, resulting in some birds dying suddenly with no apparent symptoms or having respiratory problems that do not respond to treatment.

I don't have the funds for veterinary treatment for poultry and even if I did, having Marek's would sharp wipe them out! Using antibiotics is not really an option because it requires veterinary prescription. Keeping them as happy and stress free as possible is best. Until 7 months ago my flock free ranged in my horses paddocks and stables. Sunshine and Dr Grass are wonderful healers and I try to get Marek's sufferers out onto it, whenever the weather allows. I'm not a great herbalist or homeopathy enthusiast. I tried turmeric and black pepper a few years ago but the chickens rapidly got sick of it and there is no point in doctoring their food if they won't eat it....it just causes stress for them and you. The sick ones get scrambled egg a couple of times a week and sometimes nettle or spinach porridge, but mostly just regular food. I also have Nutri Drops which go on their food or in the water of the sick ones but I don't give it to the whole flock. They do however all get fermented feed at least as part of their daily ration and usually a little ACV in the water. Not sure how much any of that helps but the vitamin supplement should help support the immune system, however being out on grass in the sunshine has shown the most consistent benefits for my birds, especially if it can be managed with the company of other chickens. I take the view that my flock has been exposed, so I don't isolate sick birds as such, but keep them safe in a large cage within the flock. I do still lose some of course, but not nearly as many as some people.

It really is a question of trial and error. The problem is that the disease is so inconsistent that you might think something has worked because the bird appears to get better, but in fact it is just a natural ebb and flow of the disease.

Sorry about your flock. I also live in Ohio, but I have never tried to get a necropsy or testing done. The contact info is here:

Ohio Department of Agriculture
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory 8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 Phone: (614) 728-6220
Fax: (614) 759-1467

I used to think that one could get a PCR blood test for Mareks, but now believe that testing of tumor or feather follicles must be done on a dead bird during a necropsy. There is usually an extra charge for Mareks testing, but the only way to confirm the diagnosis.
I would not assume that it is Mareks without testing, since many different conditions can be responsible for Mareks-type symptoms. Unfortunately, it can be very hard to ever get a diagnosis on a sick or dying chicken, due to lack of interest in vets, and lack of testing.
If you do get testing or a necropsy done, please update this thread. I hope you get some answers.

Hi
I'm really sorry that you are experiencing such sickness and fatalities with your flock. I wonder if the NPIP breeder is vaccinating because they have Marek's in their flock..... it is not part of the NPIP testing from what I have read. Unless they practice very strict biosecurity for the first 3 weeks after the chicks are vaccinated, it may be a wasted effort and the vaccine is imperfect anyway..... and perhaps gives buyers a false sense of security.
That said, you are not seeing what I would consider classic Marek's symptoms by the sounds of it, so it may be something else....what, I really don't know. I'm sorry that is not much help to you. It sounds like you are doing what you can and there isn't much else I can suggest except maybe get the necropsy done by a State Agricultural Dept facility or Veterinary University rather than through a vet, because they should have more experience and better testing facilities....and may be cheaper.

Thanks for the helpful replies. Eggcessive I do have a necropsy lined up with Reynoldsburg. I looked them up after the first bird passed. I have scoured all the BYC threads and posts on Marek's I could find the past week, including the link from KikisGirls and "The Great Big Marek's" thread. The OE pullet is showing some more symptoms this afternoon that look more like classic Marek's. She is showing some paralysis of her left leg and left wing and when she does move around the quarantine area she is flopping off balance. I have a spare fridge empty and running to store her in if she does not make the night. If she continues downhill, I may euthenize her tomorrow to get faster answers for the good of the flock. I'm bummed, she was my favorite pullet with her perky personality and puffy muttonchop sideburns. I contacted the breeder who said they have never experienced Marek's in their flocks and vaccinate as a matter of course because it has been heard of in their region. Not sure what else I expected them to say. I know Marek's has been in other flocks in our region as well, so if it is the virus, the origin could be from any number of sources. The next step is the necropsy and continuing a stress free environment and hope we end up with some resistant birds. I'll posting any results.
Olive Egger with muffs.GardenTillers440.jpg

A week ago when she ws healthier.

Ha, I'm looking out the window and there is a flock of wild turkeys wandering along the fence around the chicken yard. They are part of a flock of 50-60 birds that wander from farm to farm around here poaching food from bird feeders and chicken coops. They could fly over the poultry mesh and mingle with the flock if they wanted. Heck, they may be doing that for all I know when we are not home, although I haven't seen evidence of that yet.
Such is what we are up against for biosecurity. :barnie

The state lab sent my vet the initial testing results for the necropsy of the Olive Egger we had them euthenize. The good news is they found no bugs, worms, cocci or other common maladies. The bad news is they felt Marek's is the prime suspect and got my approval to perform further histology to confim and find the strains responsible. The lab tech said Marek's has been on the increase in our region and they have seen a lot of cases this summer. We did a thorough clean with a viruscide and burned the substrate shavings. It made us feel like we were at least doing something, although for whatever good it did, today our beautiful Jubilee Orpington roo is off balance and starting to drag its leg. I'm hoping it just got beat up by the other roo, but I have a bad feeling....
The Marek's test results will take about a week. Keep you posted.
The photo shows the droopy wing and leg. She could not stand up at this point. Her head would occasionally flop to one side as well. 10 days after symptoms were noticed.
OE with possible Marek's.GardenTillers440.jpg

The state lab sent my vet the initial testing results for the necropsy of the Olive Egger we had them euthenize. The good news is they found no bugs, worms, cocci or other common maladies. The bad news is they felt Marek's is the prime suspect and got my approval to perform further histology to confim and find the strains responsible. The lab tech said Marek's has been on the increase in our region and they have seen a lot of cases this summer. We did a thorough clean with a viruscide and burned the substrate shavings. It made us feel like we were at least doing something, although for whatever good it did, today our beautiful Jubilee Orpington roo is off balance and starting to drag its leg. I'm hoping it just got beat up by the other roo, but I have a bad feeling....
The Marek's test results will take about a week. Keep you posted.
The photo shows the droopy wing and leg. She could not stand up at this point. Her head would occasionally flop to one side as well. 10 days after symptoms were noticed.
View attachment 1108527
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom