Mystery Chicks from Meyer

Top of Head

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151252301209203&l=1790406c12

Last edited:
Did you receive them as part of an assortment? If so, which assortment - that would narrow it down some. Meyer has a lot of breeds it seems that it only offers within their various assortments, not breed specific.

Unfortunately, I have two assortments -- 12 cockerels in a fry pan assortment and 12 layers in a brown egg layer assortment. To complicate things further, there's also a Meyer Meal Maker chick.

These little critters are the most fascinating things. I have no idea what I'm going to do with 12 (or 13) roosters, because I just don't think I can eat them. :)

Just a "maybe" hunch - it looks a LOT like my speckled sussex male but without the dark bar through the eye area. Do you have a picture of it at 1 or 2 weeks? My Meyer sussex chicks are almost two weeks and there's a lot of color variation between my male and female. The colors in the wings and overall head/body shape look like yours.
I am going by your first two photos - Facebook won't let me see the rest. It says they're unavailable or I don't have permission.

Last edited:
I should add, my female speckled sussex has almost no eyeliner/dark bar around her eyes, just a dot behind her eyes, mostly light face. The male has heavy dark bar through eyes and mostly brown face. I wish I could see your other photos. I think Meyer must have a lot if variation in their sussex breeding stock because I know they should look the same. Extremely curious and sweet personalities - they are the two that seem to always be looking up at me when I walk by the brooder. Like they're waiting for a conversation or to be picked up - which I can't resist. By the way, my ee's from Meyer(same age) have really puffy cheeks which yours don't seem to have, although I know some ee's don't.

Last edited:
It is more brown than red - my sussex are more red. I think the others are right - partridge rock. I've never had them, didn't realize they'd have so much flecking (don't know the right word) of different colors in their wings. Now I want some of those! I got the Meyer brown egg layer assortment as well for part of my order plus the meal maker. I received the golden buff, australorp, buff orpington and speckled sussex. The others I ordered breed specific straight run. Two roosters for sure - sussex & ee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom