Mystery chicks

ladysuggs

Chirping
Dec 26, 2020
These chicks were labeled pullets. Does anyone think the dark one maybe be a male? Any guesses on breed? Roughly a week old.

Attachments

• 20210826_164014.jpg
    20210826_164014.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 20
Zero chance to sex at this age unless they are auto-sex. So that is out.

As far as breed, the fuzzy black one could be a whole slew of things, it appears a bit more gray... but if you got it at a TSC it is probably an Australorp, Barred Rock maybe a Maran. If it is actually "gray" it may be an Andalusian but the odds of getting that in a random batch are low.

The other could be even more options... the wings are telling but not enough yet. Others who have that breed type can likely tell by the wing pattern and advise.

Zero chance to sex at this age unless they are auto-sex. So that is out.

As far as breed, the fuzzy black one could be a whole slew of things, it appears a bit more gray... but if you got it at a TSC it is probably an Australorp, Barred Rock maybe a Maran. If it is actually "gray" it may be an Andalusian but the odds of getting that in a random batch are low.

The other could be even more options... the wings are telling but not enough yet. Others who have that breed type can likely tell by the wing pattern and advise.
I have people saying in my chicken group that the gray one is probably a male. 😭. The gray one was in the brooder box labeled "Rare Specialty Pullets" and the one with the pretty wings was in the brooder box labeled "Run and Fancy Pullets"

I have people saying in my chicken group that the gray one is probably a male. 😭. The gray one was in the brooder box labeled "Rare Specialty Pullets" and the one with the pretty wings was in the brooder box labeled "Run and Fancy Pullets"
Is it a FB group? If so, dont trust it one bit. If the gray one is a male, its just a coincidence. FB is not reliable...at all.

Is it a FB group? If so, dont trust it one bit. If the gray one is a male, its just a coincidence. FB is not reliable...at all.

I'm with cherry. Unless it is an auto-sex breed, the absolute earliest even the best chicken sexers can begin to accurately sex is 3-4 weeks. Most seasoned chicken keepers that is more like 4-8 weeks.

If someone on Facebook is telling you it is male and you bought it in a pullet box... sounds like an easy way to make some money in a bet to me. You've got a minimum of a 50/50 chance by nature but based on where you bought it (a pullet mix) you'd have to have a mistake for it to be male, so you're like 90-95% chance. I'd immediately say "I'll bet you 100 bucks it's a girl" and pay for some future chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom