Mystery Chicks!

TrinityCreed

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Tully, New York
So this year the hatchery that sent the birds to our local store mixed up and sent them wrong ones (but they couldn't figure out which breeds got sent) and we ended up with something like 5 or 6 unknown surprise breeds! I know i should wait until they've got all their feathers in to post but I'm way too curious! Our total list is: Light Brahmas (2), silver laced Wyandottes (3), Plymouth barred rock (2), amerucana (2), unknown non-ornamental (1), ornamental unknown surprise (3).

She''s HUGE compared to the rest. They said at the store that she might be a Pioneer.

This little one has a ton of feathery legs! Wish i had better pics but man they move so much XD

The little guy on the left is the same as the 3rd photo down.

Last edited:
So this year the hatchery that sent the birds to our local store mixed up and sent them wrong ones (but they couldn't figure out which breeds got sent) and we ended up with something like 5 or 6 unknown surprise breeds! I know i should wait until they've got all their feathers in to post but I'm way too curious! Our total list is: Light Brahmas (2), silver laced Wyandottes (3), Plymouth barred rock (2), amerucana (2), unknown non-ornamental (1), ornamental unknown surprise (3).

She''s HUGE compared to the rest. They said at the store that she might be a Pioneer. Yes, probably a Pioneer.

This little one has a ton of feathery legs! Wish i had better pics but man they move so much XD Cochin (if single comb) or Dark Brahma (if pea comb).

Light Brahma.

Bird on left may be a Silver Campine.

Right: Sicilian Buttercup. Left: Unsure, possibly Production Red.

Last edited:
Ooh cool! I'll try to get some better photos just in case. I realized they weren't too great. Went to take more and found a young robin hanging out so I left them all be for now. I'll aim for some better photos when I go to put them in tonight. Now I'm questioning all my chickens (except for the Plymouth barred rocks, because we have four and I have their baby pics lol)
This is the #2 bird up in the original I mean, look at those legs! Can't really see a comb.

Same as #3 and the left on the last one.

What is the white gal? I was told she was a light brahma! I'm still new to chickens XD usually we get one or two breeds but we opted for SURPRISE! :D

Last edited:

Pioneer pullet.

Partridge Cochin pullet.

Light Brahma, not sure on gender but probably pullet.

Bird on left: Silver Campine or Egyptian Fayoumi

Left to right: Salmon Faverolle, Gold Penciled Hamburg, Egyptian Fayoumi or Silver Campine.

I'm so excited to see if they turn out to be as predicted! :) They should all be pullets, hopefully, but we'll see soon! Again i'll try to get some better shots and make a better posting.

If that one is an Egyptian Fayoumi or Silver Campine I'll be kind of excited because they're very pretty birds. And if the little guy is a Salmon Faverolle I'll also squee. I know I want good layers but as a photographer I can't resist the pretty ones either. As long as they all lay I'll be happy there too. I'm kind of a sucker for feathery legs :D

so many possibilities, I'm excited! I love all my birds and we took a huge chance on the surprise birds, but any of the possibilities are pretty things! Many seem like they might be flighty birds, makes me glad I keep handling all of them every day so hopefully they'll like me! Thanks for all the help!! I know when they get all their big girl feathers in I'll post again, just to see if everyone's right!

*squee!*

Some better shots 2 photos each of 3 different birds! Bird C is scraggly looking XD and has FIVE toes! D'aw/

Top photo the feathers are chocolate brownish. Bird A is more blackish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom