Mystery Ducks!

GrahamQuackers

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Hello! I'm a new duck parent, and I've recently (Easter weekend) "adopted" these four ducklings from our local farm & garden co-op. They were SUPPOSED to get a pair of Swedish Blue Crested and a pair of Cayuga, but I'm pretty sure these are no Cayuga ducks, and I am skeptical about them being Swedish Blue. Any ideas? Maybe they're some sort of hybrid?? (Pics are 2 weeks ago and today, same duckies)
IMG_20220504_173348840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220524_074348765.jpg

You think? Even with the "afros" and some white chest speckles? I see they are growing some blue-green feathers, but they don't look like any pics of "baby Cayuga ducks" that I've googled. I'd be over the moon if they turn out to be, though!
yep any breed can be crested, just keep a close eye on them for issues related to having the crest

cayuga actually turn white as they get older! i know some people who have almost pure white cayugas now who used to be completely black!

Your ducks are beautiful :welcome
you might want to read this info in case your not aware of the issues crested ducks can have,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-truth-behind-crested-ducks.707110/
If you have done so yet I would get them on a good niacin supplement Nutritional yeast is a good one 1 tab per cup of feed.
GrahamQuackers it is important that you do not breed male and female crested ducks. It's a genetic abnormality and if the defective gene is inherited from both parents, the defect is not compatible with life. It's a tragedy to have 25% of your fertile eggs develop but the embryo die in the shell.

Your ducklings have obviously come from a source that has intentionally bred crested ducks: these are not a random genetic mutation. I have two white [pekin] crested ducks that are more likely to be from random mutations. Both are really sweet ducks from different sources, and have no neurological problems, although the female has an associated bony neck deformity that doesn't give her any trouble.

I love both my ducks but would not chose crested ducks from a breeder that intentionally breeds crested.

GrahamQuackers it is important that you do not breed male and female crested ducks. It's a genetic abnormality and if the defective gene is inherited from both parents, the defect is not compatible with life. It's a tragedy to have 25% of your fertile eggs develop but the embryo die in the shell.

Your ducklings have obviously come from a source that has intentionally bred crested ducks: these are not a random genetic mutation. I have two white [pekin] crested ducks that are more likely to be from random mutations. Both are really sweet ducks from different sources, and have no neurological problems, although the female has an associated bony neck deformity that doesn't give her any trouble.

I love both my ducks but would not chose crested ducks from a breeder that intentionally breeds crested.
Thanks so much for all the info. I definitely did not set out to get crested ducks the way we ended up getting them and I totally did not realize that they had health issues until way after the fact and I wasn't really interested in finding a new place for them to go after we dispense so much time and effort caring for them. But right now our main priority is getting them s**** to determine if we do need to find new homes for some, as I don't reckon there's a whole lot we can do to prevent them from mating 😔 I am taking the four of them to our local farm vet next week to "see what we can see". I wonder if someone out there might be willing to trade us a non-crested Drake for a crested one 😬

Hello! I'm a new duck parent, and I've recently (Easter weekend) "adopted" these four ducklings from our local farm & garden co-op. They were SUPPOSED to get a pair of Swedish Blue Crested and a pair of Cayuga, but I'm pretty sure these are no Cayuga ducks, and I am skeptical about them being Swedish Blue. Any ideas? Maybe they're some sort of hybrid?? (Pics are 2 weeks ago and today, same duckies)
View attachment 3122454
View attachment 3122450
The ones in the top picture look like they could possibly be black swedish. If not, then Cayuga

Back
Top Bottom