Mystery Easter egger

kellyh14

Hatching
Oct 24, 2015
Hello, so we were starting a new flock and all of our babies are 10-13 weeks old, so of course we were getting impatient about eggs haha so I bought 7 almost laying hens from Craigslist. They were sold to us as a Welsummer and the rest australorps, well the australorps are another story I think they might be copper marans. Well back to the mystery I couldn't beleive it unless I witnessed it myself but this hen is laying the greenest eggs I've ever seen! I have Easter egger babies but they are way too young to start laying. I've never had an Easter egger that was beardless and had a single comb, almost a leghorn like comb. She is my only hen laying currently so everyday I get one green egg from her. she sure is pretty what breeds could she be? Strangest thing, thank you for your opinions

An Easter Egger is a general term for a mixed breed that lays blue or green eggs, so yes that's an Easter Egger, they can be muffless but it's rarer. :)

PS : that is a beautiful green egg!

Last edited:
If she's laying green eggs, she's an Easter Egger. While most EEs have pea combs and muffs, that is not always the case. Because EEs are hybrids bred by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers their offspring can look considerably different depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which combination of genes are dominant in the offspring.

Last edited:
If she's laying green eggs, she's an Easter Egger. While most EEs have pea combs and muffs, that is not always the case. Because EEs are hybrids bred by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers their offspring can look considerably different depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which combination of genes are dominant in the offspring.
x2

welcome-byc.gif

I'm thinking an olive egger project bird. Cream Legbar x Black copper Marans could give this color bird, and account for the huge straight comb, especially if she's an F2 bird (second generation).

Thank you everyone for your responses, the others look comparable to copper marans to me so that makes sense. Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.

x3

Back
Top Bottom