Mystery Egg in Middle of Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 17, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    It is not characteristic for my Bantie girls to lay in the open. They find the dark private places.

I do have some young Silkie/Cochin cross pullets that are approximately 16 wks. old. Are they to young to lay an egg?

Th DH did notice that one of the young Silkie/Cochin roos was trying to top one of the girls yesterday. I guess I thought they were to young yet?

Any ideas?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When a bird first starts to lay, laying on the ground or while on the roost can happen. They don't usually start to lay that early, but that can happen too. My first to lay was 17 weeks.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am thinking these little girls are to little young yet. I would love it if they were, I do have one that was always biggest, maybe she is older??? Hummmm...............

The other option would be, I have a mama Bantie that is running around with 12 half grown chicks & maybe she popped one out? I wouldn't think she would do that in the middle of a run though. ?? [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have seen people post here that have a 15 week old laying. What a well behaved chicken!!!!

5. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I sure hope my girls are going to be well behaved! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by