Mystery feather destruction/infection?

Jul 9, 2020
Guthrie, ok
My Coop
My Coop
I apologize in advance, I don't know much about the birds, but my sister in law asked me why all her hens stopped laying. I suggested it may be mites/lice and explained how to best check for them. A week later, she sent me this photo and I was blown away! Any thoughts on what might be going on?
I have dealt with external and internal parasites in my flock but never seen anything like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• signal-2022-11-28-17-16-26-000.jpg
    signal-2022-11-28-17-16-26-000.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2
Is this the only hen who looks like this? Have they all molted this year? I would be concerned that this is feather picking or cannibalism. It can occur with over crowding, feeding less that a balanced 16-20% protein chicken feed, boredom from not getting outside to free range, too much light in the coop, and some more aggressive breeds or too many roosters.

Stress can lead to poor laying. Of course if any are molting, that would also make them stop laying. The fewer hours of daylight can also lead to the hens taking a break from laying over winter.

Here is some reading about feather picking and cannibalism:
https://extension.psu.edu/poultry-cannibalism-prevention-and-treatment

If they have pictures of the coop and run, and some of the details from above, that might help. What are the breeds, how many chickens, and how much room in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom