Mystery Illness! PLEASE HELP!!

May 3, 2019
I have a large brooder with about 13 young pullets in it in my house. They vary in age from 3 weeks to 2 months. They were all fine right along and have shown no signs of anything like splay leg or the like since hatching. However, last week, one of them suddenly seemed to be having difficulty walking. The next day, she was barely walking at all and her legs were spread wide when she sat. Then another bird showed the same signs. Then another. Then another. Now 2/3 of my pullets are like this. I have had a few birds get like this in the past and have been able to save them with sav-a-chick and force feeding chick mash with egg and egg shells in it, but that hasn't seemed to help this time. One of my favorite birds is one the verge of death right now. My nearest poultry vet is over 2 hours away and I lost my job, so I can't afford to take them there. I don't know where else to turn with this. Please help!

Attachments

• 20210115_095630.jpg
    20210115_095630.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 13
The 2 month Olds should be in a coop outside and they don't need heat. The two week ones still need heat. I feel that the age difference might be part because of different needs.

What are you feeding them? What type of bedding are you using? How big is the brooder? Pictures of your set up may help. How often are you cleaning the brooder?

What do you feed them? Could there be mold in feed or old feed? I would be tempted to give them all a vitamin mineral supplement for poultry in food or water. If you lose another, save the body, wrap in trash bags, and keep the body cold in a cooler. Then contact your state poultry vet for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. Here is a list of state poultry vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

The 2 month Olds should be in a coop outside and they don't need heat. The two week ones still need heat. I feel that the age difference might be part because of different needs.

What are you feeding them? What type of bedding are you using? How big is the brooder? Pictures of your set up may help. How often are you cleaning the brooder?

The brooder is 7'x7' and there's only one heat lamp for the younger birds, so the older birds have plenty of room to get away from the heat. I haven't put the older ones outside because they have been inside since hatching and it's been so cold. Is it really okay to put them out in 30° weather when they're used to 70°? Won't the temp change shock their systems?

They get chick starter and crushed eggshells and have access to chick grit. Bedding is pine shavings. I clean the brooder weekly.

Only one of the older chicks is sick, the rest are the little ones. Someone said it might be Mareks. I've never dealt with that particular disease. Is it treatable?

What do you feed them? Could there be mold in feed or old feed? I would be tempted to give them all a vitamin mineral supplement for poultry in food or water. If you lose another, save the body, wrap in trash bags, and keep the body cold in a cooler. Then contact your state poultry vet for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. Here is a list of state poultry vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thank you so much for that list. I'll definitely be making some calls to vets. They get chick starter. Definitely no mold in it. I've been giving them sav-a-chick vitamins and probiotics, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
You can find Corid at stores like TSC.

What is the purpose of the crushed egg shells?

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
You can find Corid at stores like TSC.

What is the purpose of the crushed egg shells?

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.
I was going to ask the same thing about the egg shells. They are to young to need calcium yet.

Back
Top Bottom