Mystery in coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky Top Chick, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Recently I put an intercom system from the bedroom to the coop just so that I could hear if anything was wrong in the coop. Well over the holidays I was listening to the rooster crow and immediately after he finished one of the girls tried to mock him with her own type of crowing. It continued for about 5 minutes. Now I know that hens without a rooster will take over the flock and maybe crow, but this girl was making fun of my rooster, I think. Anyone have this happen before? It was about 2:00 am in the morning so I wasn't about to go out to the coop and check out who was making fun of Copper Top, but maybe sometime I will.

They are all hens with the exception of the rooster and over a year old.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Us poor cock are insecure enough as it is; we certainly don't need you hens mocking what little masculinity we have left.

Too funny [​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I've heard a rooster get smacked down after crowing too much or too loudly, but never mocked. That's hilarious!

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    hahaha! LOVE IT!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Poor guy! I had a Copper Top too! [​IMG]

6. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    He crows numerous time during the night and am waiting for one of the girls to knock him off the roost. I know I would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by