Mystery injury?

My dog was once given a powerful antibiotic that caused him to temporarily go blind .When I googled the antibiotic he was given blindness was one of the side effects .I only mention this because maybe your chicken is unable to see to eat or drink .This would also explain why she's weak and laying on her side

Can you get a picture of how she's standing? Sounds like she maybe suffering a reproductive issue based on description.
She’s not standing at all. She’s just on her side

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 2
How old is she? That can be important in trying to guess what is wrong? Have you added any new birds recently? When you check her crop, are you doing it early morning before she eats or drinks? Does she lay eggs. Are you holding food and water up to her beak often since she cannot get to food and water? You can try to attach food and water bowls in front of her to help with that. See video below. Injuries are very common. But Mareks comes to mind in young birds. Hopefully it isn’t, but if you lose her, please try to get a necropsy through your state vet.

How old is she? That can be important in trying to guess what is wrong? Have you added any new birds recently? When you check her crop, are you doing it early morning before she eats or drinks? Does she lay eggs. Are you holding food and water up to her beak often since she cannot get to food and water? You can try to attach food and water bowls in front of her to help with that. See video below. Injuries are very common. But Mareks comes to mind in young birds. Hopefully it isn’t, but if you lose her, please try to get a necropsy through your state vet.

I’ll have to take food away from her tonight and see. Her crop is hard as a rock now.. when it was mushy last night. She has food and water available.. I have a cardboard bow and a pillow sheet rigged to hold her up so she’s not just laying on her side. She tried to preen herself after I washed her butt. She’ll lay on the floor and peck at stuff and do the silly little beak scrape thing chickens do. She’s basically her normal self.. she just won’t stand up. Lively. Talkative. (Which I hope means she’s getting enough food and liquids to not be weakened).

Umm.. no new birds, she’s just under a year, and no eggs since we brought her inside

Is there anywhere that you can get a necropsy if you should lose her? She is still at the age where Mareks might be the problem. Chickens with Mareks can sit on their hocks. There can be a number of different symptoms seen in bird with Mareks, and not all would be seen. But a back injury or something affecting her leg nerves could be a problem. Let us know how her crop feels in the morning after not eating all night.

Is there anywhere that you can get a necropsy if you should lose her? She is still at the age where Mareks might be the problem. Chickens with Mareks can sit on their hocks. There can be a number of different symptoms seen in bird with Mareks, and not all would be seen. But a back injury or something affecting her leg nerves could be a problem. Let us know how her crop feels in the morning after not eating all night.
Her crop is smaller.. but not empty.
She’s still eating and drinking tho 🤷🏻‍♀️

Her poop smells like death tho. I don’t know how else to describe it. I dry heaved cleaning it up

Can you get some probiotics or plain Greek yogurt to give in small amounts? Is she eating mostly chicken feed? Some of her droppings are cecal, and those are from the ceca where food is fermented. It is very smelly and sticky. But there could be infection that is causing the odor.

Back
Top Bottom