Mystery Loss

Yes, that's just what I was thinking, we have lots of coyotes (and heard them again last night). But I don't think a coyote could get over a stake/wire fence without any damage.
Coyotes are good jumpers. They can get over a 6' fence. We never know how secure our runs are, until they are proven to be not secure enough. My vote is coyote, though, FYI, trees do not stop hawks or owls at all. I hope your hen is just hiding, and shows back up, but I doubt that she has gone broody, from the description of the commotion and your pullet being outside the fence.

Thanks all! It does sound like most people think coyote ... but I hadn't even thought of owl since it was still daylight. And those owl game pics are amazing!

Just by way of an update, we have seen a red-tailed hawk casing the coop and yard several times over the past week or two. We suspect that hawk was the predator that snatched our barred rock. The rest of the chickens are still very antsy and will not leave the covered run. Looking into adding netting over the fencing, but hoping it all subsides after some more days of "lock down."

Back
Top Bottom