Mystery predator

orrpeople

Grading essays - be back soon!
6 Years
Jun 15, 2016
State of Jefferson
So, perhaps you can settle the debate DH and I are having about the predator who recently made off with one of my cockerels. (And, to keep the superstition going, he was one of only two in that coop that had a name,so yes, they know!)
Here are the clues: (wish I had pics, but we quickly boarded it up)
1. Pulled and bent welded wire off coop
2. Tore through medium sized poultry staples (the kind you hammer in, not the electric kind)
3. Obviously had tried to do this in more than one place (bent wire but no breach in two other places - probably found a weaker spot where it eventually got in)
4. Made off with one bird. One.
5. No blood or feather mess.
6. May have been interrupted by our dogs mid heist.
My DH thinks raccoons. I think some sort of cat.

could be many things. not sure what type of predators you have there. but when my grandparents used to raise chickens and pheasants the coons always ate there kill in the coop and left nothing but the beak and legs.

but on topic, it could have been any number of things,
1. it could have been a dog (thinking coyote or fox) they seem to just pick up a chicken and carry it off but they come back later for more
2.mink or marten, they seem to kill everything but where i camp they killed one bird and took it away (all that was left was a head in the coop so my guess was martin or wolverine/mink)
3. could be a bob cat or lynx.

i would suggest looking for tracks or any sign of hair or blood that the predator could have left behind. and search the area to see if the feed spot is near by. could lead to clues to finding out who did this.

sorry if i was not much help just my 2 cents.

Great thoughts!
We are leaning toward raccoon that got interrupted and didn't have time to do their customary grab, make a bloody mess, and leave body parts. Our dogs started barking the minute they heard scuffling and ran out to see what was what. It was just so odd to have no evidence that dear little "Spock" had ever even been there!

I'm more inclined to lean towards a fox they snatch and go but I definitely think it was disturbed just make sure there's no more weak spots coz what ever it is it will be back ☹
could be many things. not sure what type of predators you have there. but when my grandparents used to raise chickens and pheasants the coons always ate there kill in the coop and left nothing but the beak and legs.

but on topic, it could have been any number of things,
1. it could have been a dog (thinking coyote or fox) they seem to just pick up a chicken and carry it off but they come back later for more
2.mink or marten, they seem to kill everything but where i camp they killed one bird and took it away (all that was left was a head in the coop so my guess was martin or wolverine/mink)
3. could be a bob cat or lynx.

i would suggest looking for tracks or any sign of hair or blood that the predator could have left behind. and search the area to see if the feed spot is near by. could lead to clues to finding out who did this.

sorry if i was not much help just my 2 cents.

glad to hear it keep your eyes peeled their so crafty and often probe and stake out especially when they already had supper there before but know there is a chance of disruption or danger fingers crossed

It's still a bit of a mystery as to the culprit. But, besides boarding things up, our dogs have become very interested in that corner of the property which has probably made our freeloading predator look for an easier meal elsewhere. :D

Back
Top Bottom