Mystery predator???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Peggi, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Peggi

Peggi Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2013
    Our new additions are 20 Black Jersey Giants, 10 Black Tailed White Japanese, 5 black silkies, 3 White Crested Black Polish, and 10 Silver Sebrights. At 3.5 weeks old, the Giants grew too big to continue living happily in the livingroom brooder so we moved the BTWJ's, Silkies and BJG's out to the medium-sized brooder outdoors. It's fairly well sealed and no predators bigger than 1" would be able to get in.

SIX(!!) of the Japanese are GONE!!! This occurred over about a week's time. All of the black chickens are there and fine, including the silkies. There are no injuries on them. There are no feathers or carcasses.

What predator will seek out white chickens vs black chickens? What predator leaves no trace they have been there? I would think any creature small enough to get into the brooder would go after the easiest prey, which would be the silkies or slower JG's. The only critters I could think of would be a snake or rat, but there are no tracks or traces of either.

I've moved everyone out to the big coop, but have no faith they are safer there.

Any ideas? Advice? Help!!!

Thanks,

Peggi

2. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Is it possible that a person could have stolen them?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds like a 2 footed thief. I would think of evil ways to set them up. Mwaaahhhhaaahhhh! [​IMG]

4. you should report them stolen!![​IMG]!and,drive around your neighbor hood,listening for peeping,and looking for signs some chicks might be there!what kind of jerk steals chicks?![​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the above but also wonder, if the Giants are a lot bigger, a 4 legged predator may have gone for the smaller birds and left the BGs behind. No feathers doesn't necessarily indicate a person as the culprit, though it certainly could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by