Mystery rescued chickens

Because I've bred Delawares for about 7 or 8 years now and I know what a Delaware looks like.
hmm.png

"Flecks in the feathers" is not what a Delaware has. Just because it's a white bird with black streaks/flecks somewhere does not mean it has any Delaware in it. A Delaware rooster has barred hackles and barred tail. A Delaware hen has barred hackles and tail black, which is black tail feathers edged in white. They have medium size single combs and are gravy boat shaped in the chest. Nothing about those birds is Delaware-like except they have white bodies. In fact, they don't even look like large fowl birds, though it could be the photo. They seem to be very small. A Delaware is a good size chicken, remember it was bred as a MEAT bird when you look at that photo again.

I agree.

Looks like a mix. We have a light brahma rooster and white leghorn hens. Their babies were large and white with random black flecks. Like everyone else said tho, not sure about the combs without a better pic, but looks like pea combs to me. We also have black jersey giant hens. Same father. White chicks.

yeah, pretty sure I said the body didnt match. Speckled Hen, from now on I'll be sure to defer to you about just about everything.

No need to get huffy. You asked me, directly to me, a specific question about why I did not believe there was any Delaware in those birds. I told you. If you don't agree, no skin off my nose. Yes, they are mixed and I still do not believe they have one spot of Delaware in them. Not sure why that makes you so angry
hu.gif
In fact, if you're looking for birds with "black flecks" in the feathers to match yours, a California White has those, too and would be more in keeping with the body type of those birds in the photo. To that, there are probably fifty breeds who would qualify on that count to add to their genetics. It's too hard to say.

Just an example:

Last edited:
No need to get huffy. You asked me, directly to me, a specific question about why I did not believe there was any Delaware in those birds. I told you. If you don't agree, no skin off my nose. Yes, they are mixed and I still do not believe they have one spot of Delaware in them. Not sure why that makes you so angry
hu.gif
In fact, if you're looking for birds with "black flecks" in the feathers to match yours, a California White has those, too and would be more in keeping with the body type of those birds in the photo. To that, there are probably fifty breeds who would qualify on that count to add to their genetics. It's too hard to say.

Just an example:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Just saying. Not huffy at all.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Just saying. Not huffy at all.

Well, I think most anyone would say that this statement you made qualifies as a bit snarky, to say the least:
Quote: So, why not just drop it? You asked, I answered. You're not required to like the answer. I wasn't rude to you in my explanation that you asked for, just matter-of-fact.
idunno.gif
You can believe anything you like about the birds in question.

Haha seems i'm late getting back to the party (i don't think the forum lets me know when my questions get answered and I'm quite forgetful), but i have pics i took of the ladies just last night along with their 3rd "sister" (who i have been told looks like an Australorp but she has feet feathers so???)

Marsha (her beak and feet are black)

Honey

Lolo

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll try to monitor this thread from now on! :)

Back
Top Bottom