mystery resp illness! please help!

AshleyGray

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Marietta OK
My nightmare...

Started off as sneezing in the morning. at lunch i put some otc anti biotics in their water (tetramiacin?) and when i came home that evening it had turned into all 5 hens in to zombies with drooping tails and combs (combs werent blue, but pale), red around eyes(didnt notice ocular discharge), GASPING with open mouthed to breath, bad breath. You could hear gurgling/bubbling, snot on beaks and feathers. I called a friend who had some Tylan and started that. In the morning they were MUCH better (that was yesterday morning), sneezing, nasal discharge. Today not even sneezing, but my RIR still has a slight droop to her comb, the rest dont have combs that stand up, so i cant really say for them. all are red (or black) like they are suppose to be and eyes are no longer red, although they are still kind of horse. I really think the tylan did the trick and saved their lives.

Info on my girls-
All are 6 mo old
All eat layers rations, scratch, maybe once a month treat of a handful of catfood, and *BIRD SAFE* fresh fruit and veggies, yogurt once a week.
the are not free range, but do have a coop and large run with grass
I do try my best to keep them cool (its been getting 113 here...weves been the hottest town in the nation a few times this summer and are in a drought!
sad.png
)

Breeds
RIR, Polish, Silkie, Ameracauna, Silkie X Cochin

my questions are:

This is day 2 of tylan...going to go 5 days of tylan 100 in their water..is that right?
When will the eggs be safe to eat after tylan?
If i let my silkie and cochinXsilkie hatch out chicks (from mail order eggs) in a few months will they get it now, even if the flock is cured?
How should i go about disinfecting?

I really cant cull these birds. They are VERY tame pets and are extremely loved. If they will always be carriers of this i need to know so i wont get anymore birds. I dont want the heart break all over again. I really think with out the tylan they would have been dead by morning. Please let me know if you need anymore info about my girls to answer my questions. Thanks so much already for your help!

Last edited:
I hope....Ive read it can be cure and also that you should just cull them all (almost to treat it like when dogs get parvo) Im really worried, I would love more birds, but not just to have to fight sickness! I am by no means new to bird care..ive had several chickens in my life..as well as parrots.....im really freaked out and have been hand washing like crazy in fear my parrots could catch this....i think if they did theyd be goners before i even knew they were sick. This is actually my first time deal with a real illness! I raise birds like people raise children. The are my feathered kids.

Also i noticed "bad breath" in the most ill hen....what ever this was, WAS NOT slow onset, but progressed rapidly over 24 hours..So maybe not CRD?

Back
Top Bottom