Mystery Rooster - Adult Bird of Unknown Breed/Mix

echosrevenge

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Got this rooster about six weeks ago, history totally unknown. Turns out he's AWESOME, like a seriously wonderful rooster for our purposes. Always tidbits the girls, very protective but fine with people, he even dances for them so they squat on their on to be bred. Just for curiosity's sake - anyone got any ideas on his breed? He's in with a flock where no two hens are the same breed, so it's not as though we're trying for purebreds...

He's got some feathers on his feet, but not many. His feet are yellow on the front, reddish-orange on the back. His spurs are tiny nubbins, and have not grown at all since I brought him home. He appears to have a pea comb with very small ridges. His tail feathers are black/bottle green with gold lacing, and some of his hackle and saddle feathers have bottle-green tips. He's pretty vocal, but I don't know how much that has to do with breed for chickens. My best guess at this point is some sort of game bird mix.

You've got yourself a good ol fashion barnyard mix gentleman. I'd say some New Hampshire is lurking in there somewhere. I'm happy to hear he's so good to your ladies. They deserve it.
thumbsup.gif

I hadn't considered New Hampshires, but we are in Maine...NH is pretty close by! There are a lot of people keeping them near here.

He's a great rooster, I had a lot of problems with our local fox before I got him. Only got 3 non-laying birds, but constantly prowling the coop and fence line... A few days ago I came outside to check on a heck of an alarm call from the rooster, and the fox was prowling the fence again. This rooster herded all of the hens under the coop, then stood outside making alarm calls until I got the dogs and chased off the fox.

Good rooster.

Ditto what the others have said about a New Hampshire mix. I had one for 10 years--same behaviors as yours: protective without any people aggression, tidbitting...and was so used to my big German shepherd trotting around that when a young coyote nabbed a hen, Rusty fluffed up and charged it, having long since lost any fear of canines. Darned thing was so startled by the big rooster's deep clucking and charged that it dropped the hen and ran. Rusty had a different comb than your lad, and very much larger wattles, but otherwise very similar.

Back
Top Bottom