Mystery Rooster and hen death. Warning graphic

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
I was gone for the day and came back to two dead chickens
One hen ( Moon ) and one rooster ( jack )

Jack was killed in the back of the run where there is no trees and feathers everywhere. ( in the coop there is also feathers) Half of his comb is ripped off and small puncture wounds.
The hen was in a corner of the coop dead no physical signs of trauma. No signs of sickness in previous days

So the other rooster hay hay is a mosaic him and jack had no problems that I have noticed.
2 Brahmas had some feathers on the scene but they have no injuries

We have hawks and owls around they have attempted 1 time but got none since jack alarmed them and I was home, that was last summer. And the fight also seemed to be in the coop and the hen was in the corner of the coop

E986D8D4-9F0F-4219-8AD5-74B84FD9E790.jpeg

The only thing I really noticed was her neck, maybe it was Broken? Or heart attack?

381358CA-3E50-4B97-A6E5-EBF2453B012C.jpeg

So he had 6 of these marks

1E3BB0E0-8022-4F68-9EB9-97CA98A3608E.jpeg

Never heard about or seen weasels around here so I doubt it
That doesn't really matter, only people with chickens worry about them and they're not common to see. You have both short and long tailed weasels, as well as martens. also Norway rats that can kill a chicken if they really want to.
How is your coop secured? is it completely enclosed?

That doesn't really matter, only people with chickens worry about them and they're not common to see. You have both short and long tailed weasels, as well as martens. also Norway rats that can kill a chicken if they really want to.
How is your coop secured? is it completely enclosed?

Martens aren’t in my area nor are Norway rats
Anyways it is secure with pallets and the gaps are covered with small gaped chicken wire it’s a pretty high fence, there is no top. No holes or gaps between the pallets and the ground
I’ve had loads of dogs, cats, foxes snakes try to get in but haven’t

Martens aren’t in my area nor are Norway rats
Anyways it is secure with pallets and the gaps are covered with small gaped chicken wire it’s a pretty high fence, there is no top. No holes or gaps between the pallets and the ground
I’ve had loads of dogs, cats, foxes snakes try to get in but haven’t
Weasels can get through chicken wire and tiny gaps no problem, and if the top isn't covered, most animals can climb it. chicken wire isn't predator proof. The punctures, the feathers and everything looks like raptor or weasel. You can get a game camera to see what comes around when you're not there. Good luck catching whatever it is. :]

Weasels can get through chicken wire and tiny gaps no problem, and if the top isn't covered, most animals can climb it. chicken wire isn't predator proof. The punctures, the feathers and everything looks like raptor or weasel. You can get a game camera to see what comes around when you're not there. Good luck catching whatever it is. :]

We have 2 game cameras, they have been set up for 3 years only have seen foxes and cats
I’m guessing raptor but I’ll keep my mind open to a weasel

Back
Top Bottom