Mystery Rooster and hen death. Warning graphic

I’m guessing they were pulled. They did also remind me but the thing that confuses me is that the fight appeared to also happen in the coop
View attachment 3238384
Probably what happened is whatever it was chased that hen into the coop, the white rooster tried to intervene and became the next target. It followed him out and killed him, then the other rooster got involved and whatever it was gave up and left, for the time being. The culprit was most likely a weasel or hawk. Foxes, raccoons, dogs, bobcats and such would just kill them all and/or take one or more.

Probably what happened is whatever it was chased that hen into the coop, the white rooster tried to intervene and became the next target. It followed him out and killed him, then the other rooster got involved and whatever it was gave up and left, for the time being. The culprit was most likely a weasel or hawk. Foxes, raccoons, dogs, bobcats and such would just kill them all and/or take one or more.

Yes I’m going to think that was it but I’m having them locked up when I’m not home for a bit to Been safe.
Thank you, at least I got it narrowed down!

Not sure, but as for your hen, I think a dead chicken will have a floppy neck no matter what the cause of death is, until rigor sets in. I'm sorry for your losses and I hope you can determine the cause. Hardware cloth definitely provides more protection than chicken wire. Around here you will hear people say that chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it does not keep predators out. Better luck going forward.

The only critter I can think of that doesn't eat the body is the weasel. They suck the blood. So sorry this happened to you.

Not sure, but as for your hen, I think a dead chicken will have a floppy neck no matter what the cause of death is, until rigor sets in. I'm sorry for your losses and I hope you can determine the cause. Hardware cloth definitely provides more protection than chicken wire. Around here you will hear people say that chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it does not keep predators out. Better luck going forward.

Looking closely at the hen I think I felt a break but that could of just been the weird position ( they were both stiff by the time I found them )
Thank you, I’ll look around for hardware cloth

Back
Top Bottom