Mystery Rooster ????

jtdoux

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to this site. Our family is beginning our flock and we are hoping someone can help us identify our newest rooster who is five months old. He is a beautiful, healthy, and curious looking guy. At first, we didn't care too much about breeds, but reading about the different rare breeds and pure breds on this site we got curious.

Can anyone inform us?

He is quite a handsome and unusual looking rooster. He looks like a fascinating mix of breeds. His beard and comb suggest that he may have some Ameraucana genetics. It also looks like he has a moderate crest developing. One of the most common crested breeds is Polish. Of course if you could contact the people who had him when he hatched, it would shed some light on his who his parents may be.

Polish mixes can also have beards, so maybe he is a mix of Polish with some breed with a pea comb.

How many toes does he have?

A photo of his comb from the front could help, too.

Last edited:
Yep, EE chickens have Ameraucana genetics although they don't tend to have crested breeds in their background. But because Easter Eggers (EE) are a mix rather than an official breed, you could call him an EE if one of his parents was an Ameraucana. His progeny could carry the colored egg gene.

He
He looks like my rooster Eddy (EE) but with a crest
looks like that with a nub on his forehead rather like comb as your rooster and where your rooster has his comb is little feathers like a Mohawk and five toes and a spur.

I like a good chicken mystery. 5 toes narrows down things perhaps. Houdan and Sultan are 2 crested breeds (mohawk) who have 5 toes. Silkies and Faverolles have 5 toes as well, but he does not have any other Silkie traits and Faverolles have big single combs.

Although Houdans or Sultans are not very common breeds 5 toes is not common either. So I would say he is one of these crested breeds crossed with an Ameraucana.

Does he have any feathers on his feet or lower legs? What color skin does he have on his legs?

Last edited:
Also, how big is he? If he is a bantam, he could be OEGB and Silkie. I have crossed these two before and all were mostly feathered like OEGB but with some had Silkie skin, toes, and crest. Whatever he is, he is gorgeous!!
thumbsup.gif

Also, how big is he? If he is a bantam, he could be OEGB and Silkie. I have crossed these two before and all were mostly feathered like OEGB but with some had Silkie skin, toes, and crest. Whatever he is, he is gorgeous!!
thumbsup.gif
That is interesting that Silkies don't pass on the Silkie feathers much of the time. Mystery rooster does not have the comb of an Old English Game or a Silkie though.

F1 chicks often have smooth feathering. F2 usually goes back to Silkie feathering.
big_smile.png
So maybe Silkie genetics could have contributed to Mystery Rooster's crest and 5 toes. Silkies certainly are a more common crested breed that Sultans and Houdans. But what percentage had no sign of the silkie black/blue skin? I have seen photos of silkie mixes with light skin.

Back
Top Bottom