Mystery Turkeys

KeptSane

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
I am trying to figure out what kind of turkeys I have. They were labeled as White Turkeys and Bronze turkeys. This particular white has rosy pink stripes/barring in a couple places and is the only one like this. The bronze they couldn't say if it was just bronze or broad breasted. The whites I think are Broadbreasted Whites but I'm not sure. I'm new to turkeys. I know the Broadbreasted is going to make a difference to whether ai is needed or not. I want to be able to incubate eggs to replenish each year. When do they get to sexual maturity? How many hens to Tom? How do you know what they are, or rather what age will you be able to tell? I have also only had them for 12 days. Whites have doubled in size as have the bronze. But the bronze seem to be growing slower than the whites....idk but this is an adventure.

Attachments

• 20210517_120427.jpg
    20210517_120427.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210517_120435.jpg
    20210517_120435.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210517_120810.jpg
    20210517_120810.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210517_120850.jpg
    20210517_120850.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210517_120816.jpg
    20210517_120816.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210517_120850.jpg
    20210517_120850.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 10
I am trying to figure out what kind of turkeys I have. They were labeled as White Turkeys and Bronze turkeys. This particular white has rosy pink stripes/barring in a couple places and is the only one like this. The bronze they couldn't say if it was just bronze or broad breasted. The whites I think are Broadbreasted Whites but I'm not sure. I'm new to turkeys. I know the Broadbreasted is going to make a difference to whether ai is needed or not. I want to be able to incubate eggs to replenish each year. When do they get to sexual maturity? How many hens to Tom? How do you know what they are, or rather what age will you be able to tell? I have also only had them for 12 days. Whites have doubled in size as have the bronze. But the bronze seem to be growing slower than the whites....idk but this is an adventure.
BBWs do tend to grow a little faster than BBBs. As for raising your own turkeys, switch to heritage varieties. As readily available as BB poults are, their is no reason to have to deal with all the problems of trying to maintain a BB flock.

BBs can breed naturally but you need to use yearling turkeys. Even if you are doing artificial insemination you need a constant turnover in your flock at a very young age.

I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens per tom. A tom can handle ten hens.

BBWs do tend to grow a little faster than BBBs. As for raising your own turkeys, switch to heritage varieties. As readily available as BB poults are, their is no reason to have to deal with all the problems of trying to maintain a BB flock.

BBs can breed naturally but you need to use yearling turkeys. Even if you are doing artificial insemination you need a constant turnover in your flock at a very young age.

I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens per tom. A tom can handle ten hens.
I haven't had much success in finding heritage breeds in my area. Everyone seems to sell BB. I love incubating and do well with ducks and chickens so far and was hoping even with the AI and the yearlings it might not be bad. The flock would be just for myself and 2 neighbors. Is it really hard to maintain the BB flock? Whats some of the down sides and is it too late in the season to find Heritage? I really love the slates, palm and Narragansett breeds. My worry is I'm in Western Montana and the winters are rough. Anything special I need for that? Tia for you help!

I haven't had much success in finding heritage breeds in my area. Everyone seems to sell BB. I love incubating and do well with ducks and chickens so far and was hoping even with the AI and the yearlings it might not be bad. The flock would be just for myself and 2 neighbors. Is it really hard to maintain the BB flock? Whats some of the down sides and is it too late in the season to find Heritage? I really love the slates, palm and Narragansett breeds. My worry is I'm in Western Montana and the winters are rough. Anything special I need for that? Tia for you help!
Have you checked out the FB page for poultry people in MY and WY? There are a bunch of people on there with turkeys. I think @Bantambird brought eggs to the recent swap

It is almost the perfect time of year to be finding heritage turkeys locally. You can also have day old poults shipped from a hatchery.

I am in the wrong state for you but I currently have around 26 poults in the brooder right now. and hens still sitting on nests.

You may want to talk to @Bantambird since she also lives in Montana.

Some of the downsides to trying to keep a breeding flock of BBs is possible leg and heart issues. The worst part may be the knowing that they have to be processed at a young age since BB turkeys can be great heart stealers.

My Slates did better maintaining a breeding flock for me than any other varieties until I switched to Sweetgrass. The Sweetgrass are by far the most mellow turkeys that I have raised.

Have you checked out the FB page for poultry people in MY and WY? There are a bunch of people on there with turkeys. I think @Bantambird brought eggs to the recent swap
I'm in that group on FB. There was a lady who has bronze but she is in Billings. I'm in Superior and its quite a drive. I'm basically on the ID MT border. I'll post in there and see if anyone has some heritage closer. Either hatching eggs or otherwise. I'm working towards self sufficient with my flocks. Got ducks and chickens on lock. Turkeys I'm still learning. Lol

It is almost the perfect time of year to be finding heritage turkeys locally. You can also have day old poults shipped from a hatchery.

I am in the wrong state for you but I currently have around 26 poults in the brooder right now. and hens still sitting on nests.

You may want to talk to @Bantambird since she also lives in Montana.

Some of the downsides to trying to keep a breeding flock of BBs is possible leg and heart issues. The worst part may be the knowing that they have to be processed at a young age since BB turkeys can be great heart stealers.

My Slates did better maintaining a breeding flock for me than any other varieties until I switched to Sweetgrass. The Sweetgrass are by far the most mellow turkeys that I have raised.
The heart stealing is my hubby's worry. I was raised on a farm and have no issues with it, as long as it has a purpose. I'm wanting a meat flock and I adore their feathers. I guess I'm budgeting and on the hunt for Heritage. How old do people usually dispatch BB's?

The heart stealing is my hubby's worry. I was raised on a farm and have no issues with it, as long as it has a purpose. I'm wanting a meat flock and I adore their feathers. I guess I'm budgeting and on the hunt for Heritage. How old do people usually dispatch BB's?
No later than six months unless it is someone that is trying to keep their pet alive.

Back
Top Bottom