Mystery yellow chick

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
Can anyone explain how this yellow baby came from a Lavender Orpington roo? Hen is an Easter Egger that appears wheaten coloured. My understanding is that lavender should act as black, and that would be dominant in this pairing. Slight chance that dad is a black silkie or a blue copper marans, but not super likely, and neither of those pairs would lead me to expect a yellow chick either!
IMG_0614.jpeg

Supposedly these two are full siblings! They definitely share a mother at least. I’m guessing the yellow one’s father must be the marans with some sneaky wheaten genes.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 10
Can anyone explain how this yellow baby came from a Lavender Orpington roo? Hen is an Easter Egger that appears wheaten coloured. My understanding is that lavender should act as black, and that would be dominant in this pairing. Slight chance that dad is a black silkie or a blue copper marans, but not super likely, and neither of those pairs would lead me to expect a yellow chick either!
View attachment 3780650
Pictures of possible parents are helpful?

This is mom (for sure, she’s currently my only one who lays green eggs). Easter Eggers mix of unknown parentage.
IMG_0627.jpeg

Possible father #1 (blue copper marans, rehomed about a month ago)

IMG_0629.jpeg

Possible father #2
Lavender Orpington. Apparently I don’t actually have a recent photo of him - this is him as a pubescent cockerel.
IMG_0630.jpeg

This is mom (for sure, she’s currently my only one who lays green eggs). Easter Eggers mix of unknown parentage.
View attachment 3780972

Possible father #1 (blue copper marans, rehomed about a month ago)

View attachment 3780973

Possible father #2
Lavender Orpington. Apparently I don’t actually have a recent photo of him - this is him as a pubescent cockerel.
View attachment 3780978
The hen is Blue Buff(Columbian)in color, most likely Wheaten based. Both are Dominant.
Lavender would act as black, that's correct if he were the father, so the mother would make either leaky black, or blue Incomplete Columbian chicks.

That hen, & Blue Copper Marans would produce Blue, Black, or Splash Birchen chicks.

Is the chick completely White? Or is there some other color on the back?

I think that it is the blue copper maran hiding the white color gene
There's two white genes, Dominant White(Shows with 1-2 copies), & Recessive White(Needs both parents with a copy to express).

Then there's Silver, a different gene that makes white birds.

Back
Top Bottom