Myth Busted: Red chickens lay.... and White chickens lay.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantimna, May 19, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    A neighbour of ours, and I had smallish fight with me about eggs. He exclaimed that red chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs, blue chickens lay blue eggs, black chickens lay black eggs, and any mix of colours = a mixed coloured egg. Then I used my Raising Chickens for Dummies book. And slowly but surely explained the ear-lobes and so on.... Well now the myth is busted that he carried around for 67 years! Have you ever experinced the same thing before?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    And the earlobe is a myth of sorts too.. [​IMG] It's largely coincidence but in no way a true correlation. in a similar vein it could be easy for someone to think white chickens, white eggs if all they knew were white leghorns and something like RIR("brown chickens") as brown eggers.

I see the idea of leg color related to egg color pretty frequently.. especially EE- green legs- green eggs, blue legs- blue eggs..

Would have been awesome if barred rocks laid barred eggs.. laced wyandottes laying uh, polkadot eggs?

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:I would love barred eggs [​IMG] and polkadot ones too [​IMG]

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Brown eggs are a myth, too. Technically, they do not exist. The brown you see is a thin coating of brown pigment deposited on the outside of the egg. It scrapes off and can sometimes can be washed off. If you want to see the TRUE color of an egg, look at the inside of the shell. Even the deepest brown Maran eggs are just white eggs with chocolate brown "paint". The exception is blue which is a pigment that is produced by a particular kind of chicken. Green eggs are green because of a layer of brown pigment gives them the appearance of being green but they are actually blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by