Nail trimming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My hens are 10 and 1/2 years old. One has nails that are very long and twisted. Is there a problem with leaving them that way? I've never clipped a chicken's nails before.........I probably could cut back to where it starts to twist? I don't think you can see the quick very easily. They are probably a little over 1" long. Any suggestions?

2. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    I am far from a professional, but I had a hen who tended to grow long nails and they started to twist. I didn't notice it affecting her ability to walk normal, but at night when she was sleeping I did clip them back a little. I didn't do too much because like you said, it's hard to see the quick. The only think I had to use that was sharp and strong enough was trimmers I have for goat's hooves. That worked fine, but I'm sure not everyone has those in their inventory! haha Maybe someone on here with more know-how could offer you better advice.

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Tmathews.
    Actually, I was looking more closely at a couple of my other old hens and their nails are really long too! Maybe I should make an appointment for them at the spa? :)
    Maybe as they get older, they don't scratch on the ground as much and their nails just grow and grow? I don't like to put them through too much anymore, since they're so old.....but I might be able to clip a little without too much disruption.
    Thanks for your input!

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I've used my dog nail trimmers on them before. I just wrapped them in towel like a burrito & trimmed a little at a time. I've also used my Dremmel which I also use on my dogs. If you grind them remember not to let the Dremmel stay in one spot too long because it can get hot.

5. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    You are welcome Country4ever! If you take them to the spa I bet they would look good with French manicures! :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by