Nails on curled toes

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
When I adopted my rooster I noticed he had curled toes and watched them as he grew to make sure he was walking normally. I've now noticed he has super long nails on those toes. Is this something I should cut?
Thank you!

Attachments

• DD866CA1-4930-4C4C-A277-B8FFDD664CF0.jpeg
    DD866CA1-4930-4C4C-A277-B8FFDD664CF0.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 27
Yes, I would work on slowly trimming them back. With his toes curled, he's not able to scratch around and wear the nails down.
All the nails may need trimming from time to time. Depends on what the birds live on. I have one run that is very soft loose material and even though the birds do scratch a lot, I have a couple of hens that need an occasional trim. Others in a different run with more compact soil wear there's down more.

Here's a good article about trimming nails.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

When I adopted my rooster I noticed he had curled toes and watched them as he grew to make sure he was walking normally. I've now noticed he has super long nails on those toes. Is this something I should cut?
Thank you!
I have a pullet whose leg is deformed, resulting in very curled toes. I trim her nails weekly. I have an older girl who doesn't get around as much as she used to, and I trim hers as well, though less often. She walks better when her nails are trimmed.

Yes, I would work on slowly trimming them back. With his toes curled, he's not able to scratch around and wear the nails down.
All the nails may need trimming from time to time. Depends on what the birds live on. I have one run that is very soft loose material and even though the birds do scratch a lot, I have a couple of hens that need an occasional trim. Others in a different run with more compact soil wear there's down more.

Here's a good article about trimming nails.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/
Thank you so much!! Their run is a dirt run with leaves/sticks on top from fall.

I have a pullet whose leg is deformed, resulting in very curled toes. I trim her nails weekly. I have an older girl who doesn't get around as much as she used to, and I trim hers as well, though less often. She walks better when her nails are trimmed.
Ooh! I wonder if it'll have an impact on his walking. He walks around and scratches just fine but I'm curious if it'll be even better with a trim! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom