Naive question about wing clips...

RootedLove

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Oklahoma
I have tried to no avail to find this answer on my own, I think it must be so basic I cannot find the answer, or I am using incorrect terms to find the answer. My chicks came home from a farm store yesterday, I am guessing they are a range of 2-5 days old. Two are a bit bigger with more wing feathers. All my chicks have a blue or pink metal clip on one wing. Should I leave this clip on? If so, for how long? What is the purpose of the clip? I assumed it had to do with preventing wing development for flying but I really don't know. These are our first chicks and even though I feel like I did a fair amount of research before getting them, I still have SO many questions. :)

I have tried to no avail to find this answer on my own, I think it must be so basic I cannot find the answer, or I am using incorrect terms to find the answer. My chicks came home from a farm store yesterday, I am guessing they are a range of 2-5 days old. Two are a bit bigger with more wing feathers. All my chicks have a blue or pink metal clip on one wing. Should I leave this clip on? If so, for how long? What is the purpose of the clip? I assumed it had to do with preventing wing development for flying but I really don't know. These are our first chicks and even though I feel like I did a fair amount of research before getting them, I still have SO many questions. :)
Hi,
welcome-byc.gif

Those are ID clips. From the color, I am guessing they show the sex of the chick? Will not hurt the chicks. Leave them on. The clips are used to ID several things, parentage, which flock they came from, type of breed, sex, etc. Call the farm store and ask which purpose your chicks tags were put on for. Some hatcheries/breeders use wing clips, some use metal bands on the legs, just depends.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info! We have a blue clip on a black sex link pullet so I'm assuming it doesn't have to do with gender in her case. How long should I leave the ID clips on? Do they always remain?

Back
Top Bottom