Naked chick

whispurr

Songster
Mar 23, 2022
When I was taking care of my chicks/chickens, I noticed one of my 3 week old Easter eggers has a naked back. I don't see anything wrong with her. It's this something to be concerned about? As a side note, I also have 6 week old Orpingtons. At what point can I put them together? One got out the other day when I was cleaning their box and the Orpingtons went on the attack. I saved her before they got to her but now I don't know when it's ok?

Has the back always been naked/slow feathering? Or was it pecked? Also, what are you feeding them? Let chicks meet each other through mesh. They get used to each other but can't hurt each other. I read to do this for a few days before letting them be together. Pretty new to this but have been reading a lot.
It looks like she just never had feathers there. The other 3 are fine. Maybe I should separate her and see if they grow back. I'm feeding chick food good idea on the wire mesh.

It looks like she just never had feathers there. The other 3 are fine. Maybe I should separate her and see if they grow back. I'm feeding chick food good idea on the wire mesh.

If you could take a picture of the nutrition label that may be helpful for others to help. I know someone who is really good with diet I just have to find their name and I will tag them. If the chick is not being bullied or does not have injury I would not separate that can cause a lot of stress

See and be seen is the way to integrate, I integreate 3 week w/ 6 week birdsa all the time, and 9wk with adult flock 3 weeks later.

Look to your nutrition label - we are most interested in Lysine this time, but also Crude Protein, and out of curiosity, Methionine.
EE are mutts - all kinds of odd things can appear, its possibly not feed related. I don't see a picture, so I can't judge (and am barely qualified to do so anyways - they don't publish picks of lysine deficient chicks for comparison). I'm assuming its not feather picking behavior from other chicks, or a bald patch from hatching at age of 3 wks.

If you could take a picture of the nutrition label that may be helpful for others to help. I know someone who is really good with diet I just have to find their name and I will tag them. If the chick is not being bullied or does not have injury I would not separate that can cause a lot of stress

Back
Top Bottom