Naked Chicken Butts

parrotlady66

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
Happy New Year All ..I need a little help I had my ladies out in the yard today , while the weather was nice and hubby noticed a hawk in the tree so we rounded them up and got them back in the coop, except we had to catch one.I noticed she was missing some feathers from her rear end so we took a couple photos and now I am concerned
upload_2020-1-3_20-55-55.png
then we notice a few more had the same thing going on .. is this something we should be concerned about
any help really appreciated
thank you
Sandy

Looks as if 'someone' has been pecking/feather plucking her - probably the bird/s in the flock that are in perfect feather. Do an on site search on 'Pin Less Peepers'. They can be used if the problem escalates.

Looks as if 'someone' has been pecking/feather plucking her - probably the bird/s in the flock that are in perfect feather. Do an on site search on 'Pin Less Peepers'. They can be used if the problem escalates.
Thank you I did look them up .. and I Did see people said they worked good
could my silkie roo being doing this because the 7 laying girls all have a naked rear end , i have not noticed him chasing the girls at all but then again I am not there to watch them 24-7 , maybe i can ask my hubby to put a camera on them for a couple days to see who is doing what .
thank you

What are you feeding them?
Have you checked for mites/lice?
Where are you located, possible molting?
Feather picking possibliities are needing more protein or boredom.
we live in southern Ontario Canada, we feed them the laying formula, cooked oatmeal a couple times a week , pieces of fruit mixed in, and a bit if scratch grain now and then
I wondered about molting as my red sexlinks are coming up on a year old,
never thought about boredom, all summer we had them free range in the yard for the day and put away at night, now that we have been having some snow (not much ) and a bit colder weather we don't let them out as much.My first winter with my chickens so we are little new at wintering chickens ..

You could string a head of cabbage for them to play "tether ball" once they figure it out. Another "toy" I've read about is a plastic water bottle, poke holes in it and fill some treats (grain/scratch), secure the lid & let the soccer games begin. I'd tape the lid shut, somehow mine got it off, or maybe it wasn't on tight enough?

Back
Top Bottom