naked frizzles

Cathy Corbett

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
I picked up some 3 m/o today.. black frizzles from a friend of mine.. There are several that have very few feathers, one of them is virtually naked.. I didnt see any kind of open wounds.. I put them in a cage by themselves, and they have a good appetite, I added a little bit of oyster shell to their feed and they ate on it. , they are also drinking water, they dont seem sickly at all..
I am wondering what I need to do for them.. they are some spunky little critters lol..

any advice will be greatly appreciated!

They don't need oyster shell now since it is calcium, and they aren't laying eggs. They do need grit ifthey are on grass and eating things other than feed. They may have been feather picked at their other home because of a lack of room, or not enough protein. Give them 20% flock raiser ( or even 24-26% gamebird feed for a couple of weeks) to make sure they are getting plenty of protein. I don't know much about frizzles, but they may have some sort of feather probvlem or lack of feathers that is genetic. Time will tell. Eggs are good for extra protein.

Thank you for the information.. I gave them chick starter when I get them home.. they gobbled it up.. I will get them some game bird tomorrow... they are seperated from the rest of the.flock, I am going to leave them like that, give them a chance to grow some feathers back, I do have some bullies in the little kid coop and don't want to cause an injury... I will post a picture in the morning, so you can see.

They weren't in the grass.. but my coop is new and still full of grass, so my other chickens are on grass but get feed 2 a day... what is grit?

Sand, rock, etc that they need for their digestion. Rocks or grit help to grind up their food inside the gizzard. Once they are laying oyster shell can serve as both a calcium boost and grit.... Or so I've been told.

It's best to keep any new chickens quarantined for at least a month to make sure the new ones didn't bring along any diseases that could affect yours. Introduce the new ones gradually when they are close in size, and separation with a fence for a week or two between the two groups would be good. Oyster shell is not the same as grit. Grit is usually ground granite for digestion, and there maybe enough small pebbles and rocks in your ground, but mine will take it as they need it.

It's best to keep any new chickens quarantined for at least a month to make sure the new ones didn't bring along any diseases that could affect yours. Introduce the new ones gradually when they are close in size, and separation with a fence for a week or two between the two groups would be good. Oyster shell is not the same as grit. Grit is usually ground granite for digestion, and there maybe enough small pebbles and rocks in your ground, but mine will take it as they need it.

Thank you for that information, I didnt know that, but I will indeed follow your instructions!

Thanks again,

Back
Top Bottom