Naked tummy

ThreeChooks

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
Hello all I am new here. We have 3 Kids and 3 backyard chickens. It’s the first time we got chickens and we got them about a year ago. They have a big roaming area around the house and sometimes we let them out to explore other parts of the garden for some fresh grad etc.
Problem: When picking them up recently I noticed that one is pretty much naked underneath, on both sides of the middle chest line there. Looking fine everywhere else. They are about a year old and laying 1 egg each each day. They are Hyline chickens so not generally particularly broody I think. They show no signs of broodiness. I haven’t noticed any lice but am not an expert. The other two aren’t naked underneath. I haven’t noticed this hen being pecked, in fact she’s been more aggressive to the other two in the past. I can’t imagine that the others would peck her underneath and to the extent that it feels like a plucked chicken underneath! Surely they d pull put feathers that are more easily accessible.
this hen looks a bit smaller than the other two. I’m worried she s sick and wondering if it could spread to the other two.
if it was parasites, they should all have the problem?
Any advice?
Thanks so much.

Hello all I am new here. We have 3 Kids and 3 backyard chickens. It’s the first time we got chickens and we got them about a year ago. They have a big roaming area around the house and sometimes we let them out to explore other parts of the garden for some fresh grad etc.
Problem: When picking them up recently I noticed that one is pretty much naked underneath, on both sides of the middle chest line there. Looking fine everywhere else. They are about a year old and laying 1 egg each each day. They are Hyline chickens so not generally particularly broody I think. They show no signs of broodiness. I haven’t noticed any lice but am not an expert. The other two aren’t naked underneath. I haven’t noticed this hen being pecked, in fact she’s been more aggressive to the other two in the past. I can’t imagine that the others would peck her underneath and to the extent that it feels like a plucked chicken underneath! Surely they d pull put feathers that are more easily accessible.
this hen looks a bit smaller than the other two. I’m worried she s sick and wondering if it could spread to the other two.
if it was parasites, they should all have the problem?
Any advice?
Thanks so much.
It may be the way she roosts; possibly rubbing her in that area.
I'm inclined to agree, I find my hens like that sometimes. They sit right on the roost and it can rub against and get snagged on their feathers.

It may be the way she roosts; possibly rubbing her in that area.
Hmmm. Thank you so much for your thoughts. They have two branches fixed above wood shavings. Two seem to be sitting on the branches and one chook on the shavings last time I looked - but can’t see how that would give one of them a naked tummy - esp I’d expect to be wearing the feathers off on the bony middle rather than both sides?
And not just one?

Attachments

• 6B256D9F-1885-440E-9022-E022E17B7EAF.jpeg
    6B256D9F-1885-440E-9022-E022E17B7EAF.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom