Name, New or Old?

Should I name my business Lazy K Ranch after our property or something new?

• Lazy K Ranch

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • New

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Hilltop Hens by Lazy K Ranch

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

AmberMoonFlower

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
I'm looking for advice on what name to sell my eggs and chicks under.

Lazy K Ranch or something new?
Do you have ideas?

My ranch has a name already, it's been "passed" down (purchased) from family.. so I'm not sure if I should go with that because it has rich history and meaning to us.. or go with a new simple easy business/side hustle name? Obviously the property would keep the original name... I would use this new name for facebook page, stickers and business cards.

Some background... My husband and I purchased his paternal grandparents property this year. The house was built by his grandpa in 1977, one of the first Homesteads when this area was becoming a rural community. The street we live on, that has many homes on it now, was even named after our property. The name is Lazy K Ranch, which is a pretty common name, we still have the brand grandpa used on the livestock.

I know selling eggs isn't profitable.. but I have a lot of people excited for fresh eggs. Not just between friends and family.. my husband's pool customers and my mother in law owns the local mail box with 500 box holders. She currently sets out someone else's eggs but really wants to sell mine now. I'm not expecting to make profit but it would be nice to break even or even have money for coop improvements or additions. I'm in college with no personal income so earning anything back helps. I really want to have fun with a breeding program on the side for special chicks. I'm a biology/ecology major and it's all very interesting to me.

Last edited:
My ranch has a name already, it's been "passed" down (purchased) from family.. so I'm not sure if I should go with that because it has rich history and meaning to us..
I suggest keeping the traditional name. Many peeps will purchase your eggs because they know the name already.
While you may not make a lot of cash on your eggs,, there is always some to be made. The income will help with the feed bill.
Many peeps do purchase backyard eggs and do pay the extra price associated with them. (VS store purchase from caged hens)
You will enjoy hatching, and raising chicks,,,,,, and selling them. Again,, not a big moneymaker if small scale,,,,,, but definitely fun to do.
Breed chicks that are higher priced, (more sought after) and your costs will start to be covered much better.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Lazy K tells people nothing about what you are selling, something important if you ever sell beyond the mail box. You can use both names. i.e., Delightful Hens, then add in smaller print, from Lazy K

If you run into a problem with the name Lazy K, you said it was common, you can use Delightful Hens. It also gives you the option of selling something else with the Lazy K name. Delightful Chicken Coops, from Lazy K.

You also don't want your egg selling name to be too "egg" if you plan on also breeding and selling chicks in the future.

Lazy K tells people nothing about what you are selling, something important if you ever sell beyond the mail box. You can use both names. i.e., Delightful Hens, then add in smaller print, from Lazy K

If you run into a problem with the name Lazy K, you said it was common, you can use Delightful Hens. It also gives you the option of selling something else with the Lazy K name. Delightful Chicken Coops, from Lazy K.

You also don't want your egg selling name to be too "egg" if you plan on also breeding and selling chicks in the future.

Thank you, you addressed exactly what I was thinking. I eventually want to get goats as well but I'm taking baby steps and want a fort Knox set up before we go there. I think currently I will take your advice and find a name to sell under, then use "by Lazy K Ranch".. maybe I could use "Hilltop Hens" because we live on the top of a large hill/mountain with 360 mountain views. Delightful Hens is cute too

Coop is still a work in progress, some of these pics are earlier in construction. Everything is secured to the ground and to each other. There is chicken wire over the run that you can't see, eventually will replace with more hardware cloth. I need to bury the coops apron, paint, and add roofing to the nest boxes as well. Tarp was removed, it wasn't going to make it through the wind, waiting for the new sun sail to arrive. I would love to hear name ideas anyone has. My daughter is a big part of this so I don't want to name it after myself.
20220611_153110.jpg
20220623_165857.jpg
20220623_165759.jpg
20220623_165825.jpg
20220611_153039.jpg
20220611_153206.jpg
20220623_193446.jpg

Back
Top Bottom