Name That Chicken - a game!

AprilDrake

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
Newcastle
Ok. I have a mystery I am trying to figure out. What breeds produced my chicks!

What are the options?

Hens:
  • Salmon Favorelle
  • Barnavelder
  • Wellsummer
  • Olive Egger
  • Americauna
  • Crested Cream Legbar
  • Showgirl
  • French Black Copper Marans
  • Barred Cochin
  • Barred Rock
Roos
  • Silver-plated Polish (dominant)
  • D'uccle (not likely)
The Offspring

1. Pip
  • Came from brownish-orange egg of medium size
  • 5 toes, feathers on greyish-brown legs
  • Primarily a reddish-brown down with silver accents
View attachment 1206602 View attachment 1206603
GO!

Attachments

• 1512956938983590230813.jpg
    1512956938983590230813.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 13
Ooh, this is so hard to choose! But I'm going to go with the Polish rooster (because he's a bit darker as a chick, like your current little guy...except more gray-dark than brown, but being a cross, it could look like one parent, both, or possibly neither...and the gray legs) and the Faverolle hen (because of the feathered legs, five toes, and bearded face). :) But then again, Faverolles tend to lay pretty light eggs. That right there (knowing which chicken lays which egg, assuming all/most of them lay different colors or have different shading) should actually help you tremendously, no matter what the chick looks like. But maybe when the chick's older, you could post more pictures of it, so we can see what he/she'll look like when the down is gone and it grows feathers (then it might even give us a better idea on what cross it could be).

Last edited:
Ooh, this is so hard to choose! But I'm going to go with the Polish rooster (because he's a bit darker as a chick, like your current little guy...except more gray-dark than brown, but being a cross, it could look like one parent, both, or possibly neither...and the gray legs) and the Faverolle hen (because of the feathered legs, five toes, and bearded face). :) But then again, Faverolles tend to lay pretty light eggs. That right there (knowing which chicken lays which egg, assuming all/most of them lay different colors or have different shading) should actually help you tremendously, no matter what the chick looks like. But maybe when the chick's older, you could post more pictures of it, so we can see what he/she'll look like when the down is gone and it grows feathers (then it might even give us a better idea on what cross it could be).

I definitely have landed on the Polish as the father. The Favorelle was a HUGE yellow chick - and this one is super tiny and also resembles the silkie chicks a bit. But, the egg could have been the Favorelle's because it was sort of a pinkish color.

Back
Top Bottom