Name that ROO!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lillyrosesmum, Feb 4, 2017.

1. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    I have a 1 year old roo and we aren't sure of his breed. He has a pea comb! Anybody have some idea?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed, probably with Easter Egger in him.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

x2

4. wolfinportland

wolfinportland New Egg

Feb 4, 2017
    Hello there! I'm no expert, but that comb looks like a buttercup's comb, not a pea comb. And he sort of resembles a buttercup rooster, except for the beard and darker red shoulders/lighter hackles. Maybe like BantamLover said, he's a buttercup/EE (wannabe Ameraucana) mix?

5. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    I tried to get a straight shot of his head but he wouldn't cooperate. Lol! I've never seen a buttercup comb before! He has three rows on his comb, the middle being the tallest. I thought it looked like a pea comb but I have no idea. :idunno I'll check it out!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's definitely a genetic mix, likely a mix of mixes.

The kinda pea comb looks mixed, it's not as small and tight as a normal pea comb. But that and the beard, plus the overall color, make me think Easter egger.

The white skin is dominant. I considered Faverolles, with the beard, but he doesn't have feathered legs or from what I can see, a 5th toe. So that's pretty unlikely. Other white skinned birds are Orpington, Marans and Sussex. If one parent was a clean legged Marans, he could well be someone's Olive Egger project bird. Shame he's never going to kick out an egg so you'd know easily [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed cockerel, I thought it was a buttercup comb also. looks like an upside down rubber curry brush

8. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    We are incubating some eggs with his genetics. I think he's so pretty and hoped he had some easter egger. We chose some eggs from one of our girls that lays a greenish egg in the hopes to make more colored egg layers. Its our first hatch ever and everything has gone perfectly so far and its day 18 tomorrow. So wish us luck! :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by