Name that toe

20220627_112938.jpg
na, I'll let these take the night shift.

Any luck yet Moony? And do you boil your new traps? Was always an interesting chore as a kid, boiling and blackening new traps.
Not to that extent at this time. When I was a kid I wanted a gun and wanted to hunt more then anything. It wasn't gonna happen at that age and when I was 11 or 12 I discovered trapping. I did back then. Boiling and using walnuts.
Trapping was so much fun and a little profitable back then.
Now days I only do it when I get predators.
I clean them and pay attention but Im trapping in areas that my scent is all over the place and it's easier to get away without the precautions I used to use when I went into their territory and baited them.

My main concerns arise when something enters the barn to kill. The first time I had an issue something had dug under the back wall. I've left the hole ever since and things have no problem using it. It makes it easier when I know where they're coming in and out of. I can usually set a couple traps right there and eliminate the problem in a day two.
The previous issue was different. I did catch a few things but not the elusive mastermind.
He taunted and tormented me always staying one step ahead. That is until I took his toe.
The battle continued but he was misstepping and he got scared. As I turned the tables he vanished and so did my concerns. It had been peaceful until lately.
He's returned with a vengeance and back up.....

My main concerns arise when something enters the barn to kill. The first time I had an issue something had dug under the back wall. I've left the hole ever since and things have no problem using it. It makes it easier when I know where they're coming in and out of. I can usually set a couple traps right there and eliminate the problem in a day two.
The previous issue was different. I did catch a few things but not the elusive mastermind.
He taunted and tormented me always staying one step ahead. That is until I took his toe.
The battle continued but he was misstepping and he got scared. As I turned the tables he vanished and so did my concerns. It had been peaceful until lately.
Could you use conabears? Something wise enough to evade a leghold might get caught easier in one of those. Or its stake out time with nightvision googles.

Excited The Goldbergs GIF by HULU

So ya I set a couple traps at the old trusty entery point and caught a coon that night. He was big and angry but had all his toes so I knew he was just a soldier.
I interrogated him mercilessly for hours but he didn't break. Strobe lights, smacking him around. I even played two full Backstreet Boys albums and made him watch Harry Potter. Nothing.
I then bought 3 more foot hold traps. I set one baited with the partial chicken they left behind and nothing. For two nights I set 2 at the entery hole and set up a bait cockerel in a cage surrounded by the rest.
I've never seen anything like what happened. Every trap was either dug out and set off or drug out and out of the way remaining set. The second night one set off trap had blood all over it but no foot or toes left behind. That was a bit odd but the lab results came back that it was chicken blood.
The SOB spread chicken blood all over a trap to throw me off. To make me let my guard down.
Moony is no fool. I contacted a couple ol boys that deal with these strange cases for a living for some advice.
1656703914142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom