Named the 2 year old American Buff Ganders finally!

snowydiamonds

Songster
11 Years
Feb 9, 2008
On top of the world in Alaska
I grew up watching boxing on the telly as a child so after watching my two ganders this past week I finally have perfect names for those boys:) The smaller gander was bossing around the bigger gander last week and the smaller gander has been mating my big Toulouse goose named Grayzie. He's now called Sugar Ray and he thought he was the Fly Weight Champion of the World until two days ago. My bigger gander finally decided to stand up for himself when he became twitterpated with my Embden goose Snowflake! You should see him today...he thinks he's Cassius Clay, Heavy Weight Champion of the World! So far there is a lot of noisy mating going on and they seem to be encouraging and yelling alot about it all when it happens. I moved them to the middle of the fenced property so the neighbors don't get upset thinking the birds are killing each other but they can still hear them so I've had concerned ppl asking about what's happening. The neighbors all love my geese and miss having them where they can be involved in their lives and are excited about possible goslings this year but the mating process worries them...

I didn't know how old my ganders had to be before they'd mature and mate- guess its 2 years old for the American Buff ganders!
No eggs yet, and a lot of snow on the ground still. I'm hoping the snow melts quite a bit this week so the geese can go back into their bigger fenced yard and bigger barn before building nests and becoming broody! The wild geese and other birds coming north are at St Michael now, heading this way:)

It was such a long and cold winter I lost one goose girl, a 2 yr old Am Buff along w/the largest drake duck and some awesome pullets/cockerels (BO). The news said we hadn't had such a long cold spell since @ 1940!

Last edited:
LOL I think I am going to be like you in taking a while to find names.

Sorry you lost some this long winter. Hopefully you will have a nice long summer.

Back
Top Bottom