Nameing them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pvc coop, Jun 5, 2008.

1. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have 4 RIR laying hens, due to start laying in late August. How do I identify them so I can name them? They all look alike.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't name my chickens (except for one roo) and they all come running when I call "here chick chick chick" [​IMG]

3. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    You can ID them with colored plastic legbands.

spot

4. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ordered some plastic legbands from Meyer, but I guess I didn't read the fine print because they all came in the color black.
    If anyone has any that are other colors, I'd love to trade for black ones.

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    If you are around them often, soon you will notice distinct features about them. Sorta like black cattle they are hard to tell apart but soon things show up. Like I have this one that will cluck alot when she sees me I call her Jamie, my neighbor that wont stop talking. [​IMG]

6. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    We're naming all of ours McNugget 1, McNugget 2, McNugget 3, etc. Just to keep things in perspective. [​IMG] Never name a critter that you plan to eat.

Tom

7. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:i wonder if the OP has any plans to eat those hens, though. maybe that's why s/he was planning to name them. :p

8. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I had the same problem so the colored legbands really helped. [​IMG]

The feed store owner where I bought them couldn't understand why I wanted all different colors. He said that usually you only put on a different color when you get additional chickens to the flock, so you know which ones to cull, when the laying drops off. Luckily he had a large assortment of colored bands, and you didn't have to buy the whole bag of each of them. They were five cents each.

9. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    Quote:i wonder if the OP has any plans to eat those hens, though. maybe that's why s/he was planning to name them. :p

You're right. Sorry, pvc! No offense intended!

T

10. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Paint their toenails different colors. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by