Nameing them

pvc coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Oklahoma
I have 4 RIR laying hens, due to start laying in late August. How do I identify them so I can name them? They all look alike.

I don't name my chickens (except for one roo) and they all come running when I call "here chick chick chick"
smile.png

I ordered some plastic legbands from Meyer, but I guess I didn't read the fine print because they all came in the color black.
If anyone has any that are other colors, I'd love to trade for black ones.

If you are around them often, soon you will notice distinct features about them. Sorta like black cattle they are hard to tell apart but soon things show up. Like I have this one that will cluck alot when she sees me I call her Jamie, my neighbor that wont stop talking.
lau.gif

I had the same problem so the colored legbands really helped.
smile.png

The feed store owner where I bought them couldn't understand why I wanted all different colors. He said that usually you only put on a different color when you get additional chickens to the flock, so you know which ones to cull, when the laying drops off. Luckily he had a large assortment of colored bands, and you didn't have to buy the whole bag of each of them. They were five cents each.

Back
Top Bottom