Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Martin Rooster King was purchased as a pullet BCM, but...
Martina and Augustina are BCMs
Ms. Cleo is my EE
Nandi and Moremi are Polish Whites
Vanilla is a Cali White (she chose me while I was trolling the TSC when meant to be at Kroger for pie supplies)
Indigo and Amethyst are Lavender Orpingtons
Becky and Karen are Rhode Island Reds
Blu and September are Sapphire Gems
Nina and Pinta are Plymoth Rocks
I LOOVE Martin Rooster King! 😂😂 & you already have a name ready if you get another Barred Rock! Does your TSC have a minimum on chicks when you buy? In NY if you impulse buy you have to get 6! (It’s a lot harder to hide 6 more than one or two just thrown in lol).

Yup, all the chickens have names. The quail too even though they don't really care. But the chickens know their names and will come to them, can be identified by their individual sounds, and I know each one's favorite treats and who lays which egg.

I started with 4 EEs named after the Jurassic World raptor squad: Blue, Charlie, Delta, and Echo. Then at about 4 months old my Charlie was killed by a predator and Echo turned out to be a rooster and was rehomed, so I found similar aged pullets at a local farm and Clever Girl (RIP) and Char (Charlie2) joined the group. I took in some rescue bantams, Hawk the OEGB and Pearl the Polish, and that was it for about 4 years. Then last summer since my originals were getting older and laying less I added in 4 more 7 month olds. I tried to mostly keep with the raptor/army alphabet theme so the EEs were deemed Foxtrot and Indo (Indominous) and the Silkie mixes I picked up on Halloween were deemed Ecto and Ghost.

Then on May 5th I went to the local TSC and they had Welbar babies, and I couldn't resist. So since I had B-I covered and poor Pearl all alone on the alphabet, and because the babies came home on Cinco de Mayo, they were deemed Queso, Roma, Salsa, and Tango. Everyone looks different except for Salsa and Roma, and I think they'll be easier to tell apart once they get fully grown but for now they sport leg bands. My husband used to make fun of me for knowing which chicken made which noise, but he recently got me a chicken coop camera, Velociraptor Warning sign for their coop, and will sit and watch them during the day and comment on them because he knows everyone's personality now. They're addicting little pets. :)
Absolutely addicting! I love your theme with names! My DH was indifferent about naming them until Plucky chose him. She’s the same as him, last one to bed, always wants to socialize, and very loud.

I LOOVE Martin Rooster King! 😂😂 & you already have a name ready if you get another Barred Rock! Does your TSC have a minimum on chicks when you buy? In NY if you impulse buy you have to get 6! (It’s a lot harder to hide 6 more than one or two just thrown in lol).
No, they do not have a minimum. And Vanilla was two weeks old, so she was sold to me for $1.

I have a set of broilers too. I bought all they had one Sunday afternoon (21) and paid 50 cents each. They kinda have names. My mother interchangeably refers to them randomly as Stewie, Curry, Crispy, Crunchy, Jerk, Honey Baked, 8 Piece, Split Breast, Spicy, Strips, and Wingette.

Wow, thank you! I seriously need another rooster for the flock anyway. Great help for a choice of his breed and naming to follow suit
:lau

No, they do not have a minimum. And Vanilla was two weeks old, so she was sold to me for $1.

I have a set of broilers too. I bought all they had one Sunday afternoon (21) and paid 50 cents each. They kinda have names. My mother interchangeably refers to them randomly as Stewie, Curry, Crispy, Crunchy, Jerk, Honey Baked, 8 Piece, Split Breast, Spicy, Strips, and Wingette.
I would be in big trouble if there was no minimum lol. Especially if there were $1 chicks! 😂😂

Those are funny broiler chicken names! 50 cents is a steal! You could add Patty to the list as DH loves Chicken Patties!

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
I’m late to the party, but I name my chickens! They are all golden laced Wyandottes. We can tell them apart by personality and there are subtle differences, for example, one is extremely directionally challenged, and one is a bit smaller than the rest. Their names are Zita, Petra, Sorcha, Rose Rey, and Dagmara. We had a Luna, who turned out to be a Lucas 👀 but he has since be rehomed to a big farm that welcomes roosters . Obviously, he was easy to tell apart 😂

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
I always name my chickens. There’s usually a difference in each however small it may be even if they’re all the same breed. I give them human names that just seem to suit them or their personality or colouring. For example I have Layla because she’s an excellent layer, Penny because she’s a copper colour & Lacy who is white with black markings. Cecil is my Frizzle rooster and his “hairdo” reminds me of the character from The Simpson’s. If they all look identical to you then you can get coloured ankle tags for them and memorize their names by tag colour or name them the colour of their tag. Happy chicken naming! 🐥

We do not choose names. They just happen.

Back
Top Bottom